Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The installer disc could not be found? MacBook Pro - BootCamp

I have a late 2011 MacBook Pro running OS X Lion 10.7.4. I receive the "installer disc could not be found" error in my Boot Camp Assistant (ver. 4.0.3) after I have selected the "Download the latest Windows support software from Apple" and "Install Windows 7" tasks, and selected the "Burn a copy to CD or DVD" option in the process of installing Windows on my Mac. Everything goes smoothly, including the burning onto a disc apparently, until I get to the part where I am told to select the amount of space to partition and press the "Install" button below with the disc in. I do this, but after a minute of nothing happening once I've pressed "Install", I receive the "installer disc could not be found" error. I have no idea what to do, still being somewhat new to my MacBook Pro, as well as having followed all the of the instructions. Help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Also, I've already tried burning at the slowest speed (2x) and have tried both CDs and DVDs.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on May 28, 2012 5:53 PM

6 replies

May 30, 2012 11:05 PM in response to xHANZOx

If I read your post right, you may be missing some information,

you're only downloading the Boot Camp drivers (Windows support software) so you still need to buy a retail copy of Windows 7 to use to install. Apple does not supply WIndows OS.

After you finish the Boot Camp drivers download, BC Assistant will re-boot the computer and then that's when the Windows installer takes over and will start it's stuff, as in you telling it to Format it NTFS and then it will install Windows onto the partition you made. If you don't have the Windows disk then the computer will ask for an installer disk.🙂 The BCAssistant HAS set the partition (you can pre-format the partition but WIndows HAS to set the final one) and the Windows installer HAS to set the Format.

If you do have the WIndows installer and it is an .iso then it needs to be converted to a bootable version before you burn it to a DVD, you can't just drag the files over to the DVD.

Aug 4, 2012 9:19 AM in response to JBaj

It's not so much the Windows OS as it is what Mac OS your using to in stall Windows on.

As of Lion and Mountain Lion (10.7 and 10.8) you can only use Windows 7 (until Windows 8 comes out and Apple updates the Boot Camp drivers for it) because Boot Camp only has drivers for W7 and is not backward compatible to XP.

W7 and XP is kinda like OS-9 and OS-10, two major differences.

Boot Camp is just a series of Windows drivers Apple makes for compatibilities reasons for the hardware Apple uses.

Basically if your computer came with 10.7 installed _brand new_ your stuck with W7 and BCamp v4.0. If you have any other previous Apple OS then you can use the v3.0 version of Boot Camp and W-XP.

Depending on when the computer was made it may be able to use XP, say, if you bought a computer a week after Lion came out but they hadn't upgraded the computer hardware yet you can usually use the previous MacOS and Windows version if compatible. So you will still have the "old" hardware. Any new Mac OS that comes out will be installed on any computers sold after that time.

Also, some people have had some success installing XP on newer machines if you do a Yahoo/Google search on the internet, depending on what machine you have you. It may take quite a bit of work tho. if you really need XP still, Windows 7 Pro does have an XP emulator as part of it (similar to Rosetta for OS9?)

Hope this helps....

The installer disc could not be found? MacBook Pro - BootCamp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.