8 Replies Latest reply: May 30, 2012 2:32 AM by léonie
RobertoRuiz Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi, after recover my library i´ve found that all my projects are ok, all versions are ok with metadata but i´ve lost all albums an smarts albums. Not so bad if i could make a new ones smarts albums. But when i´m going to start a new smart album and i open the dialogue of Rating , label , text, etc.. i found the "keywords" field grey and not available like in the picture

Imagen 2.png

Any tohughts?

I´m considering start a new empty library, recovering with a 2 months old vault and merging with the actual library. I think that way i will have my actual library mixed with the old library ( wich contain albums and smart albums ). Is it ok ?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)
  • léonie Level 9 Level 9 (75,485 points)

Hello Roberto,

What is your Aperture version? I can only speak for Aperture 3.

In Aperture 3 the keywords rule only shows the keywords that are set in the library item you are adding your smart album or smart search to.

So, if you add a smart album to a  project or folder only containing images without keywords, then the keywords rule will be greyed out.

To check this, look at the metadata of the images that are in the folder or project, and check, if they actually have keywords set. You also might add at least one keyword to one of the images - that should enable the keywords rule. To be able to use all your current keywords, define the smart album at the top level of the Aperture Library, not local to a library item.

I´m considering start a new empty library, recovering with a 2 months old vault and merging with the actual library.

Merging your old restored library with the current library should work, but you may create duplicate keywords this way. This should restore your albums however.

Regards

Léonie

• RobertoRuiz Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hie Léonie, I, m working with aperture 3. I was tring to start the smart album inside a folder but this folder does´nt exists in a project. i´ve found the solution: i go to Photos, then create the smart album ( there the keyword rule is not grey and all my keywords are ok ) and last move the smart album to the folder i have with all of them. I prefer have a folder with all my smart albums separate from projects.

All i have to do is create the smart albums . altough i´m thinkin of merging my old and new libraries in a new one, only to see how it works.

Thanks for all!

Roberto

• Frank Caggiano Level 7 Level 7 (25,720 points)

The other thing you can do is change the source setting in the smart album. Look near the top of the smart album for the line that starts with Source. If you select Libary then all images keywords will be available in the smart album.

i´ve found the solution: i go to Photos, then create the smart album ( there the keyword rule is not grey and all my keywords are ok ) and last move the smart album to the folder i have with all of them. I prefer have a folder with all my smart albums separate from projects.

All i have to do is create the smart albums .

libraryAlbums.png

That should certainly work, Roberto  - a smart solution - selecting the Photos-View will ensure that all your keywords are available, but you should be able to create your Smart Albums directly in their final destination folder, if this folder is located in the "Library Albums" section of your library - like my folder "Themen" in the above example.

Cheers

Léonie

• Frank Caggiano Level 7 Level 7 (25,720 points)

That works because the source for all smart albums made in the Library Albums folder is set to Library.

As I wrote the OP can put a smart album whoever he likes in the library and search all images by setting the source to Library in the smart album he makes.

As I wrote the OP can put a smart album whoever he likes in the library and search all images by setting the source to Library in the smart album he makes.

I know, Frank, I just saw no need to elaborate on your advice, since you already have explained it so beautifully, and I thought a "Like" should suffice to express my admiration.

I did not think of this control, when I wrote my first post , since I rarely need to set the source explicitely; I prefer global albums to be in the "Library Albums" section and albums with a restricted source directly in the folder containing the corresponding project. And I wanted  to show Roberto how to place the folders, since he already had found a solution, but that required to move the albums around.

Cheers

Léonie

• RobertoRuiz Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thanks to everyone for your fast response. It´s a pleasure to have people like you helping!

You are welcome, Roberto

My pleasure!

Léonie