Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help, trying to switch my computer to high performance but not there

Hey im just wondering how to switch my computer from energy performance to high performance, im going in system prefernces, energy saver and the option isnt there, would it be somewhere elsE

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on May 29, 2012 10:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 29, 2012 11:09 AM

SYSTEM PREFERENCES>ENERGY SAVER>BATTERY. There should be a box to check next to 'Automatic graphics switching' , on the top. If you do not see that, then your MBP predates that option.

Ciao.

3 replies

May 29, 2012 11:39 AM in response to SteveBiko585

That's for laptops that have a dedicated graphics card in addition to the CPU based graphics and Apple has allowed the ability for one to chose to run the dedicated graphics all the time, which consumes more power than allowing the computer to automatically switch between CPU and dedicated graphics on it's own.

If your machine has only CPU graphics or it's older and there is no switching option, then you won't see that choice in Energy Saver.

There is no "higher performance" graphics option in the terms if checked will give better graphics performance.

The "higher performance" just means it will use the more powerful graphics for low graphics uses that could save energy if the CPU graphics was used instead.

So it's a Energy Saver choice and only if have both types of graphics and Apple has allowed the option to choose.

Some might have been having issues with 3D games when the CPU graphics switch over to dedicated graphics, thus Apple started including that as a option recently.

Help, trying to switch my computer to high performance but not there

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.