Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can you delete songs from your iPod nano and leave them in your iTunes music library?

I would like to delete some songs from my iPod nano but leave them in my iTunes library. The last time I tried this I erased my iPod songs and all my iTunes songs! Needless to say, I'm afraid to try this again unless I have some help from someone that knows a heck of a lot more than I do.

Thanks,

Jim:-)

iPad 2, iOS 4.3.2

Posted on May 29, 2012 2:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2012 7:30 AM

Sure. Simply configure the tracks you wish to remove the Nano to no longer sync to it. For example if you have your Nano configured to sync only checked songs and videos, remove the tick mark next to the track in your main iTunes library and then resync your Nano with iTunes.

Or if you manually manage the iPod's contents, simply remove the songs from the nano via the iTunes interface. Plug the Nano in, select the small black triangle next to it from under Devices in the left hand pane, and select the Music menu underneath it. Then highlight the tracks you wish to remove and hit delete.

B-rock

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2012 7:30 AM in response to TheRouseHouse

Sure. Simply configure the tracks you wish to remove the Nano to no longer sync to it. For example if you have your Nano configured to sync only checked songs and videos, remove the tick mark next to the track in your main iTunes library and then resync your Nano with iTunes.

Or if you manually manage the iPod's contents, simply remove the songs from the nano via the iTunes interface. Plug the Nano in, select the small black triangle next to it from under Devices in the left hand pane, and select the Music menu underneath it. Then highlight the tracks you wish to remove and hit delete.

B-rock

Jul 14, 2012 12:22 PM in response to VanderWerff

I guess it's a shuffle (tiny with no screen), or maybe a classic? If it's a 4th (or 3rd) gen shuffle (or classic), and it is set to load music using automatic syncing, you cannot delete songs directly from the iPod's Music listing. You need to remove the songs from the playlist or playlists that are being synced to the iPod, and then re-sync the iPod.

If you want to remove songs directly from the iPod's Music listing, it needs to set to Manually manage music. Select the iPod in the iTunes sidebar, under DEVICES. Over to the right, go to the Music tab. There should be a checkbox with that option, and it needs to be checked (click Apply after making change). You should now be able to delete songs from iPod's Music listing.

can you delete songs from your iPod nano and leave them in your iTunes music library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.