Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro (Mid 09') won't startup in 32 bit mode

My Macbook pro refuses to start up in 32 bit mode. At least as I believe so. When I go to "Apple > About This Mac > More Info > System Report > Software" It says "64-bit Kernel and Extensions: No" which leads me to believe (through previous research) that I am currently NOT in 64 bit mode and thus 32 bit. However in activity moniter it says everytihng is running in 64 bit mode, which to me, is quite confusing. I have tried holding down key's "3" and "2" during start up and I have tried the terminal command line for it ("sudo systemsetup -setkernelbootarchitecture i386"). Both to no avail.

To me it seems that my computer has been running slow for awhile and I am convinced that

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on May 29, 2012 8:44 PM

11 replies

May 29, 2012 8:50 PM in response to Erythros

I'm afraid you miss the distinction between the 32-bit and 64-bit kernel and 32-bit and 64-bit software. Some old Macs cannot boot the 64-bit kernel, but they will run 64-bit software.

32-bit vs 64-bit Snow Leopard

How to tell if your Intel-based Mac has a 32-bit or 64-bit processor

Mac OS X- 64-bit kernel frequently asked questions

OS X v10.6- Macs that use the 64-bit kernel

OS X- Starting up with the 32-bit or 64-bit kernel

If your computer can boot the 64-bit kernel but will not start up with it by default, then you can make the switch using software such as 32- or 64-bit Kernel Startup Mode Selector

Macbook Pro (Mid 09') won't startup in 32 bit mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.