Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Import .CSV file in Numbers in multiple columns

Im open a file in .csv with "," parameter in numbers but it open in one column. If you make a sheet in numbers and export to .csv format and open in a text app, it use ";". How can i make Numbers open a .csv file with "," parameter in multiple columns?

Numbers-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on May 30, 2012 7:27 AM

14 replies

May 31, 2012 12:13 AM in response to Rodrigofromsp

Rodrigo,

Another, safer way to do it is to leave the CSV file as is, and switch the decimal separator in your System settings, then reset the decimal separator after the import:

1. Quit Numbers
  2. Temporarily set the system decimal separator to period (Using System Prferences).
  3. Start Numbers
  4. Import (File > Open) your CSV file (without changing its use of the comma as values delimiter)
  5. Save the resulting Numbers document
  6. Quit Numbers
  7. Reset your default system decimal separator to comma.

Regards,

Barry

Aug 14, 2012 8:48 PM in response to Ruud Weiss1

Interesting discussion. I am having a related problem ... when exporting data from my bank's netbanking site to csv, the file results in semi-colon delimited data (probably because that is the most popular setting in MS Excel).

I am using settings with decimal point as ".", so in order to be able to import the csv files I first open them in TextEditor and do a replace-all to convert the semi-colon's to comma's. However, I first need to make sure the numbers in the export (which contain comma's as decimal point due to the belgian national settings of the bank's web site) are converted to the correct (in my case) decimal notation.

In Excel, there is a "preferences" setting that allows users to define what separator is preferred when importing csv's. Is there a way to tell Numbers (if necessary through Terminal) what a csv is expected to look like ?

Aug 17, 2012 10:43 AM in response to pplanch

"In Excel, there is a "preferences" setting that allows users to define what separator is preferred when importing csv's. Is there a way to tell Numbers (if necessary through Terminal) what a csv is expected to look like ?"

Numbers uses the System Preferences setting to determine the expected csv item separator.

Numbers 'expects' a csv file to follow the standards of the region. If your region is set (in System Preferences) to use the full stop (period) as the decimal separator, Numbers expects the comma as the item separator; if the region is set to use the comma as the decimal separator, Numbers expects the semi colon as the item separator.

Regards,

Barry

PS: Requests for a preference setting similar to that offered in Excel (and the various 'open' Office versions) may be made through the Provide Numbers Feedback channel, found in the Application menu ("Numbers" menu for Numbers) of current Apple applications.

B

Apr 14, 2014 3:49 AM in response to Rodrigofromsp

Just modify numeric separator in osx regional preferences to something differrent than in your CSV file.

For instance, if your CSV file uses "," as separator, make sure your decimal separator in osx regional preferences is set to "."

If these 2 separators are equals, Numbers will not split into columns. You can just modify regional settings prior to import your csv file into Numbers, and then revert to original value after import.

To import the csv file, just open it through the file menu, or drop it in Numbers app or dock icon as any other Numbers file.

Jul 13, 2014 3:32 PM in response to xolytem

Is there a list of regions with their preference settings or do I have to check until I find one?

Q 2. See the PNG. I tried Libya but they have the same "." as US. My CSV [exported fr Constant Contact] when opened with Numbers appear to have separation by space or tab. Numbers separator shown for the US or Lybia is a ""."",

User uploaded file

Jul 21, 2015 8:57 AM in response to InternetDR

InternetDR wrote:

But, when I open a cvs file, it does not separate the data into columns. Excel works perfectly.

Excel is a champ at dealing with csv data. But don't give up on Numbers before trying this Text to Columns Automator Service (Dropbox download).

To install (one-time) simply double-click the download .workflow package and, if necessary, click 'Open Anyway' in System Preferences > Security & Privacy.

To use:

1. Select the cells in the column containing the data that you want to separate into columns.
  2. Choose 'Text to Columns' from the Numbers > Services menu.
  3. Answer the prompts about separators.
  4. Click once in a destination cell (I usually pick a cell in the adjacent column)
  5. Command-v to paste.

This provides similar functionality to the Text to Columns wizard in Excel.

SG

Jul 21, 2015 9:13 AM in response to SGIII

Thanks for the response, SGIII. It just seems like every time I want to convert from Excel to Numbers, I run int fundamental problems. Another example revolves around printing. First, you cannot select the print area. At least I have not been able to figure out how to do it. For many of the spreadsheets I use, I keep a running tally of data. Example, every week, I enter sales by client into a spreadsheet and want to print just one weeks worth of data. In Excel, I highlight the cells I want to print, the header and left columns that contain the static data are already frozen and I am able to select to print the selection only. I have not found a way to do this in Numbers. Last, when I copy a block of cells from Excel into Mail, the numbers align properly on the right side. In Numbers, while the cell formatting is generally maintained better than Excel (borders, text formatting, etc), the numbers are left justified. WTH!! Makes no sense to me.

Also, Excel has been widely condemned as being blotted. But, when I look at Activity monitor, Numbers and Pages take up more memory than Excel and Word. So, fewer features and more memory.

Maybe someday Numbers will be the champ. But, not at this moment in time for me. All of these small, nagging issues cause me to pack up my bags with Numbers and move back in with Excel. I don't want to...I have to :-)

Import .CSV file in Numbers in multiple columns

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.