Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wrong Apple ID showing in "Update Apps"

I had my mother-in-law reset her password as she has not been able to log into her iTunes for quite some time. After we reset apple id, we changed it in settings>store and it took it just fine. It accepted the new id/password in the setting and online; however, we then tried to update iPhone but it doesn't show the correct apple id/email address in the "updated apps" pop up screen, but shows up correctly in settings>store. Please help.

iPhone 4

Posted on May 30, 2012 8:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2012 11:42 AM

I am having same issue in last 2 weeks or so, it was perfectly o earlier. Maybe iphone os 5.1.1 issue? Only while updating the apps. I don't recall using any apple ID since ages (iphone 3g) but vaguely remember that earlier apple ID was not having email id, once iPhone4 or cloud came in it required email id. Dind't use "@me.com" but used yahoo.com instead. I don't sync with computer itunes and haven't done in 6+ months but update it using wifi or att data networks. Funny thing is if I were to install new app, the apple id and password works fine but when you go back to update it the existing apps later it fails. Frustrating thing is even newly installed app using the same appleid if there is an update available for it, it will fail with wrong apple id or password.

Didn't want to reset or delete all the apps and start a fresh. looking for a workaround

thanks in advance

70 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2012 11:42 AM in response to rachelle221

I am having same issue in last 2 weeks or so, it was perfectly o earlier. Maybe iphone os 5.1.1 issue? Only while updating the apps. I don't recall using any apple ID since ages (iphone 3g) but vaguely remember that earlier apple ID was not having email id, once iPhone4 or cloud came in it required email id. Dind't use "@me.com" but used yahoo.com instead. I don't sync with computer itunes and haven't done in 6+ months but update it using wifi or att data networks. Funny thing is if I were to install new app, the apple id and password works fine but when you go back to update it the existing apps later it fails. Frustrating thing is even newly installed app using the same appleid if there is an update available for it, it will fail with wrong apple id or password.

Didn't want to reset or delete all the apps and start a fresh. looking for a workaround

thanks in advance

Dec 4, 2017 7:45 AM in response to rachelle221

I found this very strange as well. My son gave me his iPad which had his old Apple ID. I updated everything in Settings in the App Store to my Apple ID. But, it still did not let me to update to all the applications. What I found out was that if you had a previous user the device will ask you to use his or her Apple ID . So those specific application that were set up using the old apple ids will continue to ask for that old users Apple ID. I fixed this problem by opening the App Store App on the device you want to do updates go to the App Store to "PURCHASED" section at the bottom .and did individual updates through there if you hit "update all" you will not update be able to do any of the updates because one or two old apps were originally set up with the I'd . The other solution is if you know which one of those apps were set up with the old user, simply delete those applications. Should I have your device and restart. Hope that helps

Mar 19, 2017 11:35 PM in response to rachelle221

March 2017,

I had this same problem. It is a pretty miserable error. I backed my mom's phone up on my computer, and she uses Facebook and Words with Friends, so both apps were associated with her email account. My wife had a similar problem with her apps backed up to my computer. Right now I am in iTunes on my computer and am in the Library Tab and in the Apps tab of that. I just deleted and am reloading the apps from there. I have already tried deleting the apps from my phone and reloading them there, but still get the wrong address on Updates. I tried updating the apps in iTunes and got a null error, and it asked for my mom's email address. I put in my email address associated with the iTunes account for my phone, and I got a null error.

Long story short: It is not asking for updates for Facebook or Words with Friends... so I am not sure if the problem is totally fixed. Seems to have helped though. Remove from library on iTunes and reload from purchased.

May 31, 2012 10:25 AM in response to ckuan

Thanks for the suggestion. Tried both the options but it didn't solve the problem. Had tried the first option and was holding back the seocond suggested option because I had to re-enter the wifi key's after reset.

Is there a way to find out the associated apple id with the app requiring update? or should I delete all the apps requiring update & reinstall them? I was holding back from doing this but now the no. of apps requiring updates has increased to 14 and may have snowball effect.

thanks once again

Mar 26, 2017 8:51 PM in response to rachelle221

I am having almost the same issue.

My issue is that each time I try to update my apps on my phone, the screen where I enter my password, the screenname doesn't have the @me.com attached to it. Every time I try to enter my password, it pops back up as if I didn't enter the password. There is no way to add the @me.com when I am trying to update apps on my phone.

When I try to to add the @me.com on my computer, it won't accept it either.

I get locked out and have had to change my password too many times!

I can't get a new screenname as someone suggested because I have too many apps that have been paid for.

Help!

Jul 25, 2017 3:02 PM in response to KatyJW

Bravo, magnifico, superior excellent advised, thank you so much, you have a great great day

Apple Support Communities

KatyJW has posted in the Using iPhone community.

Yes, all apps that you downloaded using your old Apple ID

To post a reply, go to the discussion in Communities.

You are receiving this email from Communities. You can change your email preferences in your Communities Profile. Please expect a slight delay in visibility of points awarded.

TM and copyright © 2017 Apple Inc. 1 Infinite Loop, MS 96-DM. Cupertino, CA 95014.

All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Apple Support

Jul 1, 2017 9:21 AM in response to rachelle221

My problem may be unique but it was similar so I offer this solution. I have family sharing and my app store kept asking for my wifes (old) ID even though the phone and my icloud and app store were signed in as me. Turns out the "update all" feature crashed because of an app she purchased and shared with me.

Update each app individually until you find the app that calls for the external credentials.

Delete it from your phone and all will be good again.

It will no longer ask for the other persons ID.

In my case this was further complicated (or unique) because my wifes ID changed after we married and this particular app was purchased under her old ID settings. I do not seem to have this problem with any apps she shares under her new credentials.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.