Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

White MacBook Water Damage-Fans don't work...options?

About 2 years ago I had some water damage on my white Macbook, after a couple of days it started up again and worked fine, except that the fans don't run and the thing overheats and shuts down if I do anything intensive. I brought it into the Genius Bar and they said I need a new logic board...I assume they aren't going to steer me wrong, but do I have any other options?...Like I said it works great unless I run media or something.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on May 30, 2012 9:28 AM

2 replies

May 30, 2012 10:08 AM in response to dirwuf

If your MacBook is continually overheating it will very likely fail, sooner rather than later. It is unfortunate that non-functional fans require replacement of the logic board - a fairly expensive item - but it is correct.

My son spilled bourbon on his MacBook with similar results. He managed to keep it working for a while by putting it on top of bags of frozen peas, replacing them when it got too warm. Eventually though the computer was replaced.

Get the repair done or replace the computer. You can use workarounds such as the frozen peas to get the data off of the MacBook, but don't count on it working for long.

Best of luck.

May 30, 2012 11:06 AM in response to laundry bleach

Thanks...believe it or not this happened well over two years ago, and other than overheating when running media, it still works good as new. I obviously have gotten another MacBook, and no data of value is on the damaged one, but I don't wanna trash something that still works fine most of the time...Guess I just gotta be glad it works at all and not get greedy.

White MacBook Water Damage-Fans don't work...options?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.