Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport express amber light flashing

My airport express suddenly has an amber light flashing and won't connect to my network--I have an aiprort extreme as the internet gateway.

I use the airport express for music streaming to my stereo from the computer.

How do I trouble shoot the airport express? Airport utility won't detect it.

I've unplugged and replugged the airport express and the amber light continues to flash... no green.

This happened after I rebooted the airport extreme. Would the airport extreme be causing this? How can I dive into this?

Posted on May 30, 2012 10:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2012 1:38 PM

Hi Dan,

How old is your Airport Express? Do you stream music often and for long periods of time? If you can no longer detect it via Airport utility, that indicates that it may have a major problem. As you probably know, the Air Ex units run fairly hot, and streaming music or video through it does stress the unit even more, because its transmiter is on for long periods of time. I've read reports in the past that some of these units had a tendency to malfunction between 18 months and 2 years old.

Wuz

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2012 1:38 PM in response to Daniel Peck

Hi Dan,

How old is your Airport Express? Do you stream music often and for long periods of time? If you can no longer detect it via Airport utility, that indicates that it may have a major problem. As you probably know, the Air Ex units run fairly hot, and streaming music or video through it does stress the unit even more, because its transmiter is on for long periods of time. I've read reports in the past that some of these units had a tendency to malfunction between 18 months and 2 years old.

Wuz

May 30, 2012 1:41 PM in response to wuzradioman

Wuz,

Well, actually, I think it might be about 4 years old--and it streams music 4 days a week all day long at my office.

So... maybe it is toast?

I can definitely confirm that airport utility can't see it. I've hit the reset button several times until I get the rapidly flashing amber light... still no luck.

At the end of the day I'm going to restart the airport extreme to see if that helps.

Thanks for replying.

Dan

May 31, 2012 11:44 AM in response to Daniel Peck

Daniel,

Did you go through the set up routine with the new unit? It sounds as though you may have simply plugged in the new unit and expected it to work. Is that the case? The new unit should have its very own software disc which will probably be an updated version.

If the situation is such that you still can't see the AE unit with your Airport utility, then I would connect the new AE unit directly into your computer, and bypass the router, etc.

May 31, 2012 1:29 PM in response to wuzradioman

The set up routine has me use Airport utility to find my airport express. The disk that came with the airport express simply has an installer to install airport utility. It is an older version 5.5.1

I currently have airport utility 6.0.

The set up instructions simply say to plug in the airport express, open airport utility, and select your airport express in airport utility and follow the instructions.

Airport utility does not see the airport exress--even when I click on the "other airport base stations" button.

So... I'm confused

May 31, 2012 2:36 PM in response to Daniel Peck

Dan,

You can hook up your Airport express via ethernet cable directly to your computer to configure the Express.

This will bypass your Extreme and everything else. You ought to be able to see the new unit. If you can't see the express with this setup, then it is n.g. OR your Airport utility is in need of scrutiny. BTW, my Airport Express

version is 7.6.1, and I purchased mine last September.

NOTE: It is necessary to keep airport utility updated. The last update to my Airport Utility application was 8/24/11.

You may want to check your software update info in system preferences. You can also check for updates from there.

May 31, 2012 3:15 PM in response to wuzradioman

Wuz,

I think we're talking about two different things. I think the 7.6.1 is the firmware for airport express and extreme... which I am up to date on.

My Airport Utility is up to 6.0, which I also think is the most current version unless I'm interpretting apple's download page erroneously.

I was able to get the new airport express to connect once I turned on the wireless on my mac. I'm on an ethernet network and was assuming the wireless on the airport extreme would talk to the airport express. Your suggestion to connect via ethernet sparked that idea... so thanks for your help on this one. I really appreciate your knowledge and time on this for me.

Dan

Jul 28, 2012 4:45 PM in response to Daniel Peck

Due to a move into a new house last year, I hadn't used my Airports in over a year. I wanted to start using them again so I downloaded the 7.6.1 Firmware update and updated the Airport Utility to 6.1. I run OSx Lion on my Macbook.

I was drawn to this posting because I have 2 Airports (Dining Room and Master Bedroom). The Dining Room Airport was flashing yellow and was not being "picked up" by the Airport Utility. I saw the post regarding, hooking the Airport directly to my MacBook via an Ethernet. I did that and "presto" -- I could see and configure my Dining Room Airport. Great!

Then, a new problem developed. Both Airports are lit green when I physically look at each device. And, I can see both of them on the Airport Utility screen ....BUT on the Airport Utility screen next to each Airport there is a yellow triangle with an exclamation point going through the triangle and it says "device not found". If I hook each device up with an ethernet -- they are green on the screen. When I take them off the ethernet cord -- they turn into yellow triangles. Regardless of all that -- they are both still display the green light on the Airport device itself.

Any suggestions, guys??!

Airport express amber light flashing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.