Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i have a linksys router running my wifi network. i would like to add a airport exstreme to it wired to create a second lan network. is this possible

i have a linksys router running my wifi network. i would like to add a airport extreme by wire to create a second network. will this work.

Posted on May 30, 2012 11:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2012 7:38 PM

Yes. If you actually want a separate wireless network, you would leave the AirPort configured to provide both NAT & DHCP (its default configuration) and have it broadcast a wireless network with a unique Network Name (or SSID).

On the other hand, if you want to "extend" the range of your current Linksys router with the Extreme still connected by Ethernet, you could configure both routers for a roaming network instead.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2012 7:38 PM in response to jd0121

Yes. If you actually want a separate wireless network, you would leave the AirPort configured to provide both NAT & DHCP (its default configuration) and have it broadcast a wireless network with a unique Network Name (or SSID).

On the other hand, if you want to "extend" the range of your current Linksys router with the Extreme still connected by Ethernet, you could configure both routers for a roaming network instead.

i have a linksys router running my wifi network. i would like to add a airport exstreme to it wired to create a second lan network. is this possible

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.