Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't print pdf's in Preview

My son is having trouble printing an email attachment in Preview, the pages print blank. He has an 2008 15" Macbook Pro running Snow Leopard. I am trying to help him over the phone. Attachment pops up as PDF in Preview, he hits file, print and the print drop down shows the page but when he hits print, blank pages print.

Thanks

Posted on May 30, 2012 11:48 AM

2 replies

Oct 24, 2012 4:02 AM in response to jax44

I've been having a similar problem with Safari pdf files despite downloading the latest Adobe Reader XI.

I would constantly get messages - There was an error opening this document. The file is damaged and could not be repaired. And I would get a blank page when I tried to print the pdf if I tried printing from the Safari web page using File - Print from the top toolbar on my laptop.

If you're printing pdfs from Safari use the action icons on the grey lozenge that's positooned just below centre of the webpage.

Without downloading the pdf, print the pdf file direct from the Safari page using the Print icon on the above grey lozenge.

Saving the pdf by using the Save icon from this same grey lozenge on the Safari page you can open and print this pdf version from your desktop.

I've tested it with a couple of different pdf files and these methods work using the grey lozenge icons. But the same pdfs files don't work using File - Save As on the Menu Bar at the top of the screen.

Mar 27, 2016 2:35 PM in response to jax44

I was having the same problem this week. I couldn't print PDF files from Preview or from my email if my mac recognized them as PDF files. I tried restarting my mac and powering down my HP printer. What was odd was that I could print the PDF file from my outlook email if it wasn't recognized as a PDF. It would not work if I tried to print by clicking the "Print using system dialogue" link. It turns out I needed to change my color ink as the cartridge was empty. Not sure if this really was the reason, but it worked after I put in new color ink because I think PDF files often have a color hue to the document even if it appears to be a document that is purely black and white. Hope this helps!

can't print pdf's in Preview

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.