Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time machine and time capsule

I want to store pictures on an external hard drive. They told me in the Apple store I could do this on time machine. But is that only back-up? Not sure of difference between time machine and time capsule. Can someone help me please? Thanks. Betsy

MacBook (13-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.4.7), Working also with iPad

Posted on May 30, 2012 1:01 PM

1 reply

May 30, 2012 3:10 PM in response to TownMouse33

Time Machine.. backup software on your Mac computer. (Only 10.5 and after seeing you list 10.4)

Time Capsule.. hardware device which is an Apple Airport Extreme plus a hard disk wrapped into a bit bigger box than the AEBS. Dumb as a board.. it is a router with hard disk hanging off. Entirely unsuitable as external storaage as it has no backup method for itself. It is a target for Time Machine, so Mac Laptops can back up wirelessly.

TownMouse33 wrote:

I want to store pictures on an external hard drive. They told me in the Apple store I could do this on time machine.

I am not sure if the Apple Store folk told you the wrong thing misunderstanding you.. but you cannot use Time Machine as a store. It is backup and files inside it are not usable.

Moving your iPhoto library to the TC is also a really bad idea. If you simply want to store raw photos.. which is a good idea btw.. as iPhoto kind of consumes them, yes, you can put them on the TC.. but use another location, external drive to back them up. In fact do it the other way around.. use the external drive to store them and stick to TC to work as backup since that is what it is designed for.

Time machine and time capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.