Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

thread, virus, flashback

Hi,

My computer sent an email to all of my contacts saying that I would urgently need help.

The email account was then removed by Google. It was obviously a virus, worm or whatever.

Can it be that my iMac was infected by a virus? I heard something about a virus called flashback. Could it be that my computer catched this virus?

How can I know. Can anybody help?

Tks in advance

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on May 30, 2012 1:31 PM

2 replies

May 30, 2012 1:38 PM in response to Nici66

If you have the latest apple java updates, have java disabled (or with the updates even if it isn't) I doubt you have flashback.

On the other hand gmail is being hacked all the time on the google side (my neighbor had that happen about a year ago). There are added (albeit sometimes inconvenient) securities you can add to a gmail account but I don't know what they are. Check your gmail settings.

May 30, 2012 2:48 PM in response to Nici66

Nici66 wrote:

Hi,

My computer sent an email to all of my contacts saying that I would urgently need help.

It was almost certainly not your computer that sent that e-mail.

The email account was then removed by Google. It was obviously a virus, worm or whatever.

Can it be that my iMac was infected by a virus?

No, there are no known viruses that will impact OS X, in fact, if your OS is completely up-to-date there is currently no known malware that will affect you.

I heard something about a virus called flashback. Could it be that my computer catched this virus?

It's not a virus (which can spread by itself to your computer and then to others without you doing anything), Flashback is a Trojan/Backdoor that is known to re-direct your browser to ad sites, but has never been shown to do anything else.

Check your e-mail "Sent" folder to see if that message is there. If it's not then they simply forged your e-mail address to send the e-mail(s) out. If it is there then they most likely hacked the password to your account, logged in and sent it from there. Contact Google to see if you can reactivate your account with a very strong password.

thread, virus, flashback

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.