Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Switched from a CDMA to GSM for my new iPhone 4s. Facetime and iMessage do not work.

Recently I switched from a CDMA service to GSM iPhone 4s using my same phone number. Facetime and iMessage will not activate. However, under Facetime settings where there is usually a phone number my email address is there (which is also my apple ID). So even though this is not activated someone can Facetime me using my email address. My phone was reset to factory settings twice and it didn't help.

Apple Store tried to fix it to no avail and gave me a new phone. Once they loaded it back up, same issue. So we decided it was the carrier of the service. I checked with them and they are puzzled as well. We are thinking it has something to do with taking my existing phone number from CDMA to GSM and something happened. But no one knows how to fix this... I am not the only one with this issue...has anyone had the same problem or have any ideas??? Thanks..

iPhone 4S

Posted on May 30, 2012 5:11 PM

11 replies

May 30, 2012 5:20 PM in response to Pepper12

If I understand you correctly, you switched from a CDMA iPhone to a GSM iPhone and ported your number to the new phone. If you registered your CDMA phone with Apple, try unregistering it by:

1. Go to: https://supportprofile.apple.com/MySupportProfile.do
  2. Log in if not already logged in
  3. Click on ">" to the right of the CDMA phone listing
  4. Click "unregister"

After doing this I would wait a while for this change to be updated witht the servers, then turn iMessage and FaceTime Off, wait a couple of minutes, then turn back on.

May 30, 2012 5:32 PM in response to Pepper12

No, it won't effect anything on your phone but unregistering I doubt unregistering your GSM iPhone will help. My suggestion was an attempt to clear up any confusion on the servers with which phone was active. If your issue is that you see the message "waiting for activation" under iMessage in Settings>Messages, then this has been a widely discussed issue in these forums and there doesn't seem to be any one clear solution. Some of the things that you can try include:

1. Go to Settings>General>Date & Time, make sure Set Automatically is set to On.
  2. Be sure you are able to send and receive messages.
  3. Call your carrier to see if they are blocking premium texts or third party texts (a silent message is sent to the activation server to activate these services)
  4. Also make sure in Settings>General>Date & Time that Set Automatically is turned to ON. If not turn it on then go to Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings
  5. Change the DNS servers on their wireless router to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

You can search the forum for "waiting for activation" and you'll find many posts. Perhaps you will find one that works for you.

May 30, 2012 5:40 PM in response to randers4

Thanks again for your time and ideas. Like you said there are hundreds of posts out there regarding this and I think i have tried every solution suggested, including the Set Automatically thing...to no avail. Actually Apple tech support suggested that one as well. Maybe I am just doomed to never have it work right.. 😟

May 28, 2015 10:34 AM in response to KiltedTim

KiltedTim wrote:

No one here works for Apple, including Randers. This is a user forum.

No one here can match his level of expertise in icloud. That would be icloud engineering level, but if you say so... Too my opinion big loss, 2011 when he started and now he is gone. I would be the happiest guy if he comes back ( as volunteer would ) the only person, besides turingtest with such level of knowledge in their respective area. Correct way to say what you have meant would be no one here can represent Apple according to TOS. Please report that post for removal as soon as you read it.

Switched from a CDMA to GSM for my new iPhone 4s. Facetime and iMessage do not work.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.