Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reformatting read only FAT32 USB Stick

I am curently trying to reformat an old usb stick. But stuggling to get it working. I've included pictures below of the info page. When I go to disk utility all options are grayed out on this disk. After looking at terminal I belive the permitions for the disk are actually for 'staff'. Any and all help would be much appreciated! Thank you!

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on May 30, 2012 5:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2012 5:19 PM

Check to see if there's a physical switch on the drive or if it's mounted read-only(run mount -uw on the drive).

(66837)

29 replies

May 30, 2012 5:20 PM in response to oliverjeffers

Drive Preparation

1. Open Disk Utility in your Utilities folder.

2. After DU loads select your hard drive (this is the entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.

3. Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to one. Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to MBR then click on the OK button. Set the format type to MSDOS (FAT32) Click on the Partition button and wait until the process has completed.

May 30, 2012 5:56 PM in response to Kappy

Yes, it is. At the very bottom, it says 'Sharing & Permissions' with a downward triangle and the words 'You can only read' below it. There's nothing else. No owner and group settings and no configuration options.

I wouldn't expect a FAT32 drive to have any such options anyway, even if it's working normally. FAT32 is simple.

(66839)

May 31, 2012 9:30 AM in response to John Greythorne

Hi John, I am able to verify the "partition" on the drive. At these are the results. Thank you for the help!

Verifying volume “NO NAME”

Checking file system** /dev/disk2s1

** Phase 1 - Preparing FAT

** Phase 2 - Checking Directories

size of /.Spotlight-V100/Store-V1/Stores/DC04D0AC-DE8D-40F2-AB7F-F72FDF1E1F90/tmp.merge .0.indexDirectory is 8224, should at most be 4096

Truncate? no

** Phase 3 - Checking for Orphan Clusters

Found orphan cluster(s)

Fix? no

Found 2 orphaned clusters

Free space in FSInfo block (1952306) not correct (1952218)

Fix? no

128 files, 7808872 KiB free (1952218 clusters)

Error: This disk needs to be repaired. Click Repair Disk.

May 31, 2012 10:36 AM in response to oliverjeffers

Right. It seems as though the USB stick needs to be scanned before it will mount as read/write. Ironically, unless anyone else has any other ideas, I think you're going to need Windows to put the stick right.

You could boot your Mac using Hiren's Boot CD - it will work on a Mac too. There's an option on there named "Mini Windows XP" which will work perfectly for what you need. Strictly speaking, you shouldn't use that option unless you have a Windows licence of some kind.

Reformatting read only FAT32 USB Stick

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.