Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mail not working with os10.58

I have 2 computers in my home, one is a IMAC with os lion, the other is a older MAC-Mini with os lepard. Mail on the mini is no longer getting new mail, I know I'm now on the icloud, does this mean my mail is no longer usable on the mini?

Posted on May 30, 2012 5:21 PM

5 replies

May 30, 2012 7:02 PM in response to David Kowalewski

Hi David,

I think they're slowly nudging people to switch, .mac & MobileMe are going away about June/July, may as well set it up now.

Do not delete the old account yet. sign up for an iCloud account if you haven't.

I understand .mac mail will still come through. Do not delete the old account yet.

You cannot use .mac or MobileMe as type of Account, you have to choose IMAP when setting up, otherwise Mail is hard coded to change imap.mail.me.com to mail.me.com & smtp.mail.me.com to smtp.me.com, no matter what you try to enter.

iCloud Mail setup, do not choose .mac or MobileMe as type, but choose IMAP...

On second step where it asks "Description", it has to be a unique name, but you can still use your email address.

IMAP (Incoming Mail Server) information:

• Server name: imap.mail.me.com

• SSL Required: Yes

• Port: 993

• Username: example@me.com (use your @me.com address from your iCloud account)

• Password: Your iCloud password

SMTP (outgoing mail server) information:

• Server name: smtp.mail.me.com

• SSL Required: Yes

• Port: 587

• SMTP Authentication Required: Yes

• Username: example@me.com (use your @me.com address from your iCloud account)

• Password: Your iCloud password

Also, you must upgrade your password to meet the new criteria: 8 characters, including upper and lower case and numbers. If you have an older password that does not meet these criteria, when you try to setup mail on your mac, using all of the IMAP criteria listed above, it will still give a server error message. Go to http://appleid.apple.com then follow directions to change your password, then go back to setting up your mail using the IMAP instructions above.

Thanks to dpepper...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3867171?tstart=0

May 30, 2012 7:55 PM in response to wpwalsh

The big problem is if Mail thinks it's a MobileMe or .Mac addy, it may change the Servers from like imap.mail.me.com to mail.me.com & Mail in 10.5.8 uses the Mail Addy for the folder name, which it can't replace, earlier OSX used the Description for the folder mame.

I jave iCloud eMail working in 10.4.11 & 10.5.58 & later.

You may have to wuit Mail & arvhive or move the Original folder then delete the old account.

mail not working with os10.58

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.