Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Web authenticated wi-fi drops out after inactivity

Hi there,

I have been searching for a solution for many hours, but can't find it.

I've got the following problem, at the office we have a guestwifi for guests/ ipad/ smartphones etc where I've got an infinite guestaccount. However when i am for 10 min inactive (sleeping mode) and I activate my ipad the wifi connection is lost. And i have to go through the web authentication procedure again, which is quite anoying for over more 10 times a day....

Does anyone has the solution?!

Thanks in advance

iPad 2, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on May 31, 2012 5:46 AM

9 replies

May 31, 2012 5:55 AM in response to ljmvdberge

Likely there is no solution, your companies WiFi does this on purpose it is a Commercial-grade network. Like Most Hotels, Hospitals and some companies, their free Wifi will disconnect you for inactivity and also after you shut your ipad off and turn it back on. It's to keep traffic down. I have to sign into hospital Wifi over and over through the day for this exact reason.

May 31, 2012 6:06 AM in response to ljmvdberge

hmm that is odd, although i wouldnt know anything about those androids. But lets have a look at renew lease.. select the blue > to the right of the network you want, and select renew lease, this may do something may not. I found this:

When you connect to a network and your computer is set to DHCP (for automatic settings) it sends out a request looking for a DHCP server. If one responds, it asks for an IP and any other associated information for that network like proxy information and DNS. Once it is received, as pointed out, you are "leasing" that IP from the server. The reason for this is that if you remove the computer from the network the server has no way of knowing if that IP is still in use. So, if you removed it and the lease date came due the DHCP server will send a request to the device to "renew" the lease. If there is no response the IP is put back in the pool of valid IP's for the network so that another device can use it later. If you respond the lease is update for another set amount of time etc...

Now, if you were to press "renew" all you are doing is send a message to the server that you are still there and still want the IP, that is about it.

I use the term server because it is, in fact, a service that is generally provided by a server. However, home routers also include this service to make home networking easier.

I suspect that the reasons for your network not reconnecting are due to software. I have heard a few people complain that they kept being dropped from their router on their IPad. You might try a full restore of the device and if that doesn't work you might wait until apple releases the next firmware update to see if they make it a bit more stable.

Jun 26, 2012 9:06 PM in response to brettfromannarbor

Brett,

I like your solution. It sounds great as a fix.

Can any knowledgeable person on this forum point out how this is possible?

Brett did you try just putting the ipad on power charge from an AC outlet, so it doesnt go in sleep? If that doesnt keep the wifi on for long, it means this has seriously to do with IP address allocation through the windows machine.

I hope all of us on this thread, including Soto, are talking "web authencated" internet connection. So actually the wifi does not drop but the aurhentication drops here. So the problem is completely different from the basic Wifi connection dropping. Lets maintain this.

Jan 13, 2014 1:31 AM in response to ljmvdberge

I think i know what you should do, i'm using a authenticated wifi of my university and wifi was dropping from authentication, but if you go to wifi settings touch the blue circle beside your wifi name, opens a tab, at the end of the tap there is a part its name is HTTP PROXY put it on manual then turn on the authentication and then insert your user name and password, for me it works !

Web authenticated wi-fi drops out after inactivity

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.