Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how too remove log in password

Hi all.

Can you please help me as iam well and truly stock now😢

I had too reinstall my software on the mini now i put the re install software that it came with and i filled all the forms out including my password which never changes in all my mac's then i went and upgraded by the disc to OSX 10.5 Leopard.

All ok i used the time machine from the Power PC G5 which iam writing this on now by the way too put all my programs and itunes on.

All seamed ok but it said on the start up screen Power Pc G5 !!!.😕

And when i went to put in my password it went and done the side too side wobble no i know my password and it never changes and i tried caps lock on and off but no go i never use caps lock anyway but i thought prehaps that was the problem.😢

So i cannot get in to the computer now oh dear.😠

Can anybody tell me is there a way to reset the password by anychance.😉

All help or advise would be much apreciated.🙂

Regards.

65mike🙂

Posted on May 31, 2012 10:40 AM

6 replies

May 31, 2012 11:10 AM in response to 65mike

As I understand, you restored your Mini from a Time Machine backup intended for another computer, and the password for that computer is not working, is that correct? That was not a good idea and you may encounter other problems even after resetting your password.

Follow the instructions here to reset your password:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1274

If for some reason you are unable to do this proceed to the single-user procedure that follows:

Reset 10.5 Leopard & 10.6 Snow Leopard password

1. Power on or restart your Mac.
  2. At the chime (or grey screen if your chime is turned off), hold down and S on your keyboard to enter single-user mode.
  3. This step is optional, but it’s a good idea because it checks the consistency of the hard disk before moving on: at the prompt, type fsck -fy and press Enter/Return. Wait for the checks to complete before going to the next step.
  4. Type mount -uw / and press Enter.
  5. On one continuous line type launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.DirectoryServices.plist and press Enter. There is a single space character before and after the word load.
  6. Type ls /Users and press Enter. This lists all of the usernames on the computer – helpful if you don’t know or remember what these are.
  7. Type dscl . -passwd /Users/username password and replace username with one of the users displayed in the previous step. There is a single space before and after the . (dot) character that follows dscl. Replace password with a new password of your choice. Press Enter.
  8. Type reboot and press Enter.

May 31, 2012 11:38 AM in response to John Galt

Hi John.

Thanks for the reply.

I think you have got a little confussed by my post.

I installed from the genuine mac mini Apple install disc number 1 and 2 first then i upgraded to OSX 10.5 Leopard genuine Apple disc again.

Then when all was installed i then connected my time machine backup as Apple ask you if you have another mac you want too migrate your previous files and folders from too your new mac.

Now as i said my password stays the same from all mac computers never alters.

I will try what you have posted and see if i can get it to work.

Thanks for the info.

Regards.

65mike.

Jun 1, 2012 10:02 PM in response to 65mike

It can't possibly be that bad. Here is something else to consider.

Follow this procedure to create a new, temporary Administrator account from which you can fix your normal one. Please read everything that follows before continuing. If you have only the one computer you should print it for reference.

• Power on or restart your Mac.
  • At the chime or grey screen, hold and S on your keyboard to enter single-user mode.
  • At the localhost:/ root# prompt, type

fsck -fyand press Return.

This is a simple check for file system integrity and is optional. It may take a few minutes to complete. Be patient. If you get concerned that it has stalled press the Return key. When the integrity check completes pressing the Return key will result in the localhost prompt again.

At the localhost:/ root# prompt, type the following exactly as written, one line at a time, each line followed by the return key. There is a single space preceding the first "slash" ( / ) character in each line:

mount -uw /

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

reboot

The Mac will restart, and then take you through the entire setup and registration process that you have not seen since you originally unboxed it. Do not be concerned - all of your pre-existing user accounts are still available.

Do not elect to transfer your information from another Mac: When you get to the "Do You Already Own a Mac" screen, select "Do not transfer my information" and press Continue. Have your existing Apple ID and password ready. Remember the password you select.

When it completes, log in under that new account. Depending on your OS X version it may log you in automatically. Use System Preferences > Accounts (or Users & Groups) to change your previous account back to Admin, and log out.

Jun 4, 2012 3:46 AM in response to John Galt

Update.

Tried your last post and that did not work either.

So i managed too get the disc back in and formated it again for the third time but i am not getting all my disc formated the disc is 500gb but it is saying after formating there is 465 gb and 4 files on it how is this.

Reloaded the system and had tried migration after had got it all working and had errors and none off my stuff e.g photo's and music were there.

Reformated again and went and put all info from time machine backup after OSX leopard genuine disc was loaded and guess what cannot login again just the same as my original post said.

The mini has now been stuffed in the cupboard as i have had it with it now.

Thanks for trying to advise me on how too sort it out but it seems it's stuffed.

Regards.

P.S the mini was supposed to be taking over as a backup for the Power PC G5 which iam using now as the G5 is not working that well now.

Jun 4, 2012 7:59 AM in response to 65mike

... formated it again for the third time but i am not getting all my disc formated the disc is 500gb but it is saying after formating there is 465 gb and 4 files on it how is this.

That's the first time you mentioned anything about formatting the disk. It seems as though it is damaged, and requires replacement. That would explain your original difficulty. Replace the hard disk before attempting to reload any software.

how too remove log in password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.