0 Replies Latest reply: May 31, 2012 1:34 PM by Gretchen Daniel1
Gretchen Daniel1 Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)

Hi -

I want to move my 35G iPhoto library to Aperture. I had to rebuild the iPhoto library, because the first time I tried to import it I got error messages and it appeared that the original iPhoto library was corrupt. I  successfully rebuilt the iPhoto library, which is stored on an external drive, and all seemed to be in order.

I tried, a few days ago, to import the rebuilt iPhoto library into Aperture, creating a new Aperture library on a 64G Centon flash drive which was formatted to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). The import took the better part of 2 days, at which point it stalled and was unresponsive. After unsuccessful attempts to quit, I ran Disk Utility on the flash drive and found it corrupted and unrepairable/unformattable by Disk Utility. It won't mount on either of my Macs, and although it's visible in Disk Utility, all options for reformatting/erasing or partitioning are grayed out. I did some research at Centon's site, and found this:

In order for the drive to be recognized properly again, it will need to have the partition reset back to NTFS. It is recommended to do this from a Windows computer using the Disk Management tool. After the drive has been reformatted successfully on a Windows computer, and after Mac OS X has been updated to OS X 10.4.11 or later and NTFS-3G has been installed, then you should be able to format the drive as needed on your Mac system. From Windows, use the Disk Management tool to reformat/reparation the drive.

So I now have an unusable 64G drive, at least until I can find someone with a PC to reformat. The problem is this: I read (can't remember where) that formatting a 64G flash drive as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) is not recommended, and I also read that in order to create an Aperture library on an external drive, that's exactly how it needs to be formatted.

So my question is: am I going the wrong route trying to put my new Aperture library on a flash drive at all? What would be the difference between storing it on a flash drive and a larger portable drive? I really, really want to be able to take all my photos with me, and the small form factor of the flash drive makes it possible.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

MacBook Air, iMac, iPhone, iPad, Mac OS X (10.7.2)