Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should the update to IOS 5.1.1 on an iPhone 4S NOT be done at this time?

I have noticed that people have reported problems after they updated to the IOS 5.1.1

Should I be cautious & NOT update the IOS software in my iPhone 4S until those problems have been worked out?

Is there any validity to the various problems that have been reported?

Or are they user induced problems & not problems with the update itself?

I am about to install a small home network & plan to use my iPhone 4S on it's Wi Fi.

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1.1, Problems with 5.1.1 update?

Posted on May 31, 2012 2:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 31, 2012 2:14 PM

If your phone isn't hacked or jailbroken, there is no reason not to update.

15 replies

May 31, 2012 8:42 PM in response to DonXX

I have an iPhone 4 and I'm having a lot of problems just now that I've updated to ios 5.1.1. The phone doesn't ring, messages just go to voicemail with no notification in most cases. I have to push the Home button several times to get the phone to respond when it's asleep, and it responds slowly even then. All in all its becoming annoying, which is why I searched for ios 5.1.1 problems, which led me to this post. I would suggest not updating yet. Wait for ios 5.1.2. The problems that I'm having all started exactly when I updated to 5.1.1. I was having no problems before that.

Jun 1, 2012 12:27 PM in response to modular747

modular747 wrote:

But, it also eats up your data.

Incorrect. When updating via iTunes, all the data arrives to your computer via your ISP, and then is transferred directly to the phone via USB connection. There is no use of cell data at all. It's the same as if you updated by WiFi.

GREAT to know.

I was told the opposite.

Are there any instances when connected thru USB that your Data Plan MBs are being used?

i.e. Can I surf the web on my iPhone 4S while connected thru USB?

Or do other things on my iPhone that if it were not connected thru USB, Data charges would apply?

Jun 1, 2012 12:37 PM in response to DonXX

You're confusing different things. Just plugging into the USB port does nothing except charge the phone - it otherwise functions independently, using cell data or WiFi as configured, and cell data may be used. You can't use the USB connection to surf, get email etc. WiFi is for that.

However, when updating, restoring, or syncing the phone via USB, that data is transferred directly to/from your computer over the cable and does not use any cell data.

Jun 1, 2012 1:55 PM in response to modular747

Since there seem to be some problems (with the AntiVirus Software or with Windows not being totally up to date producing some conflicts with the IOS 5.1.1 update) I have decided to do the following:

1st: Sync / backup my iPhone 4S in iTunes

2nd: Update to IOS 5.1.1 using the Wi Fi at my AT&T store just a couple of blocks from me.

My desktop computer is approaching 6 years old & still runs Windows XP Professional, so I want to avoid any potential conflicts.

Any flaws in my thinking?

Should the update to IOS 5.1.1 on an iPhone 4S NOT be done at this time?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.