8 Replies Latest reply: Jun 10, 2012 1:29 PM by Bad Monk
Bad Monk Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)

Hey guys :)

Thinking about getting the WD my passport studio -

http://wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=420

2TB! FireWire 800, now if I use this to store my videos on (to save up HDD space on my MBP), will this be ok to access video or to use as a scratch disc please?

& if ok then what is easiest way to do this? Copy or move my FCPX events & projects over to my external HDD & then just select which storage device I am gonna use when starting FCPX?

Any help would be great thanks!! :)

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2), iMac 3.2 GHz Intel Core i3
  • Luis Sequeira1 Level 6 Level 6 (8,060 points)

You should be fine.

You can easily move your projects and events from inside FCP X.

To move a project, select it in project browser at the bottom left and go to File->Move Project...

(when you do this, you also have the option to move the events along).

For an event, it is similar.

Afterwards, each project or event that you create will be placed in the drive that is selected at the time.

• Ian R. Brown Level 6 Level 6 (18,540 points)

As Luis said, it should be fine but a couple of comments about My Passport.

It is a portable HD and as such is a lot more expensive than a "normal"  one with a separate power supply.

Portable HDs tend to be 5,400rpm rather than the preferred 7,200rpm, though I can see no figures for the My Passport.

• Bad Monk Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)

thanks guys!! yeah i understand they are more expensive but i already own a 1TB WD my passport and its great!!

i love the fact that they dont have a separate power supply!

thanks for the feedback guys!!

thanks Luis

one question though......when i have moved an event/project to my external HDD, when i plug into my imac for eg will it then keep the original media on my external HDD please? it wont move it to my imac will it please?

as i want to keep free space on my imac or MBP!!

also sorry to be a pain...but do i move project or event?? i want the full thing, files, original media etc so would this be event please?

(i normally just goto my movies folder>then final cut events/projects and drag these both to my external HDD, is this ok please? seems to work fine)

Bad Monk wrote:

also sorry to be a pain...but do i move project or event?? i want the full thing, files, original media etc so would this be event please?

(i normally just goto my movies folder>then final cut events/projects and drag these both to my external HDD, is this ok please? seems to work fine)

It should work fine.

Bad Monk wrote:

thanks Luis

one question though......when i have moved an event/project to my external HDD, when i plug into my imac for eg will it then keep the original media on my external HDD please? it wont move it to my imac will it please?

as i want to keep free space on my imac or MBP!!

No, FCP X will not try to move your media back to the system drive.

thanks Luis!! got my WD my passport Studio 2TB and moved my FCPX projects and events over to it, so i now use that as my scratch disc and it works fine!!

(i back up my FCPX files to my other WD passport 1TB drive though at the end of my work day, just in case!)

thanks so much for your replies!!