Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External HDD question please!!

Hey guys :)

Thinking about getting the WD my passport studio -

http://wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=420

2TB! FireWire 800, now if I use this to store my videos on (to save up HDD space on my MBP), will this be ok to access video or to use as a scratch disc please?

& if ok then what is easiest way to do this? Copy or move my FCPX events & projects over to my external HDD & then just select which storage device I am gonna use when starting FCPX?

Any help would be great thanks!! :)

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2), iMac 3.2 GHz Intel Core i3

Posted on May 31, 2012 1:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 3:10 AM

You should be fine.

You can easily move your projects and events from inside FCP X.

To move a project, select it in project browser at the bottom left and go to File->Move Project...

(when you do this, you also have the option to move the events along).

For an event, it is similar.

Afterwards, each project or event that you create will be placed in the drive that is selected at the time.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 1, 2012 3:10 AM in response to Bad Monk

You should be fine.

You can easily move your projects and events from inside FCP X.

To move a project, select it in project browser at the bottom left and go to File->Move Project...

(when you do this, you also have the option to move the events along).

For an event, it is similar.

Afterwards, each project or event that you create will be placed in the drive that is selected at the time.

Jun 9, 2012 11:40 AM in response to Bad Monk

Bad Monk wrote:

thanks Luis 🙂

one question though......when i have moved an event/project to my external HDD, when i plug into my imac for eg will it then keep the original media on my external HDD please? it wont move it to my imac will it please?

as i want to keep free space on my imac or MBP!!

No, FCP X will not try to move your media back to the system drive.

External HDD question please!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.