Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPort Extreme and CenturyLink

I am on the verge of getting Internet from CenturyLink, which will require the purchase or lease of an Actiontec Q1000 modem/router. Does this mean I will no longer need my AirPort Extreme Base Station?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on May 31, 2012 3:03 PM

9 replies

May 31, 2012 6:28 PM in response to Nobodyknowsimadog

if somebody gives me a single device that's both a modem and a router, why would one need the other router?

You don't, unless the "other" router has some special features that you want that the service provider's modem/router does not provide.

If you don't mind setting up all new wireless connections for each of your wireless devices with the Actiontec device, you can probably simplify things a bit by having one device perform both modem and router duties.

But everything comes with a downside as well. With a combination modem/router device.....if the modem in the device has a problem, then you must replace the router as well...and set up new connections for all your devices again.

Or, if the router has a problem, you have to replace the modem as well and go through the setup with your service provider again to get online.

Jun 1, 2012 6:22 AM in response to Nobodyknowsimadog

Going back to what HACKINTOSH has already said.....you can use both the Actiontec and the AirPort Extreme.

The AirPort Extreme will work with the Actiontec device if you connect it using an Ethernet cable from one of the LAN <-> ports on the Actiontec to the WAN "O" port on the AirPort Extreme.

If you want to use the wireless on the AirPort Extreme, then you should turn off the wireless function on the Actiontec device since two wireless devices in close proximity are likely to create wireless interference problems.

While you could think of the Actiontec as acting as a modem in this type of setup, it will continue to function as a modem/router and the AirPort Extreme will function as a wireless access point to provide your wireless network.

Sep 3, 2015 9:22 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Good evening! Jumping into this conversation late as it seems along the lines of what I'd like to do/discuss.

My problem is this: I have the ActionTec C1000 modem/router from CenturyLink. It was recommended by a friend that I could likely get better WiFi by adding the Airport Extreme. Bought it today, plugged into power, plugged a Ethernet cable from the WAN port on the Extreme to a LAN port on the ActionTec........and nothing. The Airport Extreme just slowly blinks Amber. Downloaded the Airport Utility on my pc and it doesn't find the Extreme either.

Any thoughts? Help is much appreciated.

AirPort Extreme and CenturyLink

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.