Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I was required to change my Apple ID the other day, and now iPad and IPhone no longer recognize my Apple ID or password for that ID.

I have (had?) a simple Apple ID that was just a name and numbers (e.g., "Smith12") and a password. Yesterday, I tried to update an application on my iPhone and got a message saying I needed to create a new, longer, password with an existing Apple ID that looks like an email address (e.g., "Smith@mail.com"). I did that, but when I then tried to install the updates for apps on iPad or iPhone, it asks for the password for the simple "Smith12"-style Apple ID but does not recognize the old or new password. And I can't reset the old password because the reset function does not recognize either of the two security options -- my birth date info or sending an email with reset info. Any ideas at all how to fix this?

iPad 2, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on May 31, 2012 3:41 PM

9 replies

May 31, 2012 4:27 PM in response to renstarr

I don't know what "signing in the old Apple ID" means. I click on App Store, go to updates, click "install," and it asks for password for an ID that no longer seems to exist. So it does not accept the password that was associated with that ID, and there seems to be no way to associate the app with a new ID so I can install the upgrade for the app.

Jun 25, 2012 8:09 AM in response to tom1825

Not sure if this helps...but I recently reset my apple ID on my main iTunes computer and had a problem getting my iPhone and iPad to recognize the new ID (ie, the phone asked for my password to my old ID when logging in). A simple resynch didn't help...so a friend showed me to go into Settings>Store and click on my old apple ID (that was still recognized by the phone). Then, I clicked log out, then log in, and logged back in with the NEW ID. That instructed the phone to recognize the new ID to buy apps, etc. Same process on the iPad. You'll have to do a similar effort under settings>music and turn on iTunes Match (if applicable) under the new ID so it's recognized on your iPhone/iPad. Seems easy in hindsight but quite frustrating in the meantime! :-)

I was required to change my Apple ID the other day, and now iPad and IPhone no longer recognize my Apple ID or password for that ID.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.