Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport express use as router.

I have two airport express. the first as base, the second as bridge. I want to use a wireless IP camera connected to internet and accessible from any other PC in the world by internet. Is it possible with my airport express or do i need a router.

thanks for any help.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4), Windows xp with bootcamp

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 1:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 6:34 AM

You main base AirPort Express is a router if you have configured it as such.

Open Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility

Click on the base AirPort Express icon,then click on Edit

Click the Network tab at the top of the next window

IF....the Router Mode setting is configured as DHCP and NAT, then the Express is functioning as a router. You will likely need to use the Port Mapping settings to configure the cameras.

IF...the Router Mode is set to "Off (Bridge Mode)", then you have another device on the network....you likely call this your modem....that is providing the DHCP and NAT functions, so it is acting as the router for the network. You will need to configure Port Mapping or Port Forwarding on this device.

User uploaded file

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 1, 2012 6:34 AM in response to jpv46

You main base AirPort Express is a router if you have configured it as such.

Open Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility

Click on the base AirPort Express icon,then click on Edit

Click the Network tab at the top of the next window

IF....the Router Mode setting is configured as DHCP and NAT, then the Express is functioning as a router. You will likely need to use the Port Mapping settings to configure the cameras.

IF...the Router Mode is set to "Off (Bridge Mode)", then you have another device on the network....you likely call this your modem....that is providing the DHCP and NAT functions, so it is acting as the router for the network. You will need to configure Port Mapping or Port Forwarding on this device.

User uploaded file

Airport express use as router.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.