Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I slip video in a transition?

I am using the "Up and over" animated transition which utilizes a drop zone for inserting a clip within the transition. Hiow do I select which portion of that clip I'd like displayed in the transition? It seems that there ought to be a way to slip the clip in either direction but I'm not seeing it.

Mac OS X (10.7.3), 2.66 Ghz Quad Core, Lion 10.7.3

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 7:52 AM

3 replies

Jun 3, 2012 12:48 AM in response to Andy Drefs

There's actually a couple of different ways to do this. I find the easiest is to add the clip you want to use for the drop zone clip as a connected clip anywhere on the storyline (for "regular" drop zones) — but for transitions, I recommend connecting it to the start of the transition, then trim the clip to the end of the transition. Press and hold the 'T' key and click in the middle of your clip and "slide edit" the clip til it matches what you want to show during the transition. When you're done lining it up, with the clip still selected, type 'V' to disable the clip (so you'll be able to see the transition).

Click on the transition in the storyline and in the Inspector, click on the transition's drop zone "well"; then click on your (disabled) clip connected to the storyline; click on Apply Clip in the Canvas. Your transition drop zone should show exactly the portion of the clip you set up. You can then delete the connected clip from the storyline (it won't affect what you've applied to the drop zone.)

The other way to do this is a little more complicated to explain... has to do with opening your clip in its own timeline, etc...

PS: before you add a clip to a drop zone, make sure you do any needed color correction (add effects, etc...) **before** you apply it to a drop zone. You can't do it afterwards (even if you apply changes to the clip you used as the drop zone source.)

How do I slip video in a transition?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.