Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to have email "Auto-Skip" Inbox and put in Mailbox?

Not sure how to label a "Mail" question... sorry.

I have a few people who send me email ALL THE TIME (like 20 - 30 per day), unfortunately, I cannot delete or block them b/c occassionaly I need to read something they send me.... anyway....

I'm wanting to have their mail automatically skip the inbox, and go to a Mailbox I create for them. Unfortunately, Smart Mailboxes seemingly should have this ability, but I can't fingure it out. When I delete an email (that the Smart Mailbox has in it) from the Inbox, it disappears from both, so if I could "Auto-delete" it from the inbox, it would seemingly auto-delete from the Smart Mailbox too.

Oh well... can't figure this one out.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 9:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 10:14 AM

Hi Mike,

"Smart" boxes and ":Smart" folders don't really contain the documents—just a pointer to where the document itself may be found. When you delete the actual message, the pointer has no place to point, so it disappears.

What you are looking for is a "Rule" that will move these messages to a specific folder.

User uploaded file

Rules are set in Mail Preferences > Rules.

Regards,

Barry

PS: Regarding 'labeling a Mail question': Mail and Address Book are categorized here as part of the System software, and should be placed in the community for the version of Mac OS X you are using (Snow Leopard), Your question itself clearly indicates it's a "Mail" question.

B.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 1, 2012 10:14 AM in response to Olathe Mike

Hi Mike,

"Smart" boxes and ":Smart" folders don't really contain the documents—just a pointer to where the document itself may be found. When you delete the actual message, the pointer has no place to point, so it disappears.

What you are looking for is a "Rule" that will move these messages to a specific folder.

User uploaded file

Rules are set in Mail Preferences > Rules.

Regards,

Barry

PS: Regarding 'labeling a Mail question': Mail and Address Book are categorized here as part of the System software, and should be placed in the community for the version of Mac OS X you are using (Snow Leopard), Your question itself clearly indicates it's a "Mail" question.

B.

How to have email "Auto-Skip" Inbox and put in Mailbox?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.