Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to capture both video and audio to Quicktime Pro from DV camera

I want to digitally archive raw footage from my mini-DV camera (canon ZR500) to an external hard drive. I know I can capture all this footage through iMovie. But it creates hundreds of these little .dv files.

I just purchased Quicktime Pro as it looked like it could accomplish this task (just get me one .mov file with the the entire mini-DV tape's footage on it). Although I can record video just fine, the audio from the camera does not record. While I am recording in Quicktime Pro, I can see the audio gauge at the bottom registering the audio input. But when I playback, it is not there. Do I need to hook up the camera with something other than just the standard Firewire?

BTW, I am on a Mac Mini, OS 10.7.3, iMovie 8.0.6

Thanks

Jon

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 10:51 AM

6 replies

Jun 1, 2012 12:42 PM in response to jonmanheim

its important to do this in the correct order so the camera will be senced by the Mac and to prevent the Firewire connection from electrical damage:

power down your Mac

connect firewire from camera to Mac

power on camera and insert tape in camera and play back

power up Mac

start QuickTime

File > Preferences > record tab

video source - select the camera you have

sound source - select the camera you have

quality - select device native

the video should show in the QuicTime window

a green line below video will show presence of sound-it will play through the speakers if they are selected in system prefernces

rewind tape and playback

click on red button to start recording

Jun 1, 2012 2:49 PM in response to Gary Scotland

Thanks. But didn't help. I went through it all step by step. When QT opened initially, the video played, the audio meter showed audio being sensed, AND I could close the camera viewfinder and hear the audio through my speakers. I stopped playback, rewound the tape, started playback from where I wanted to begin recording. However, when I clicked the Record button on QT, it recorded only video. again, the audio meter shows line-in is working. But when I play back on QT, there is no audio. Also, interestingly, i cannot get the audio to come through my speakers anymore when i playback the video realtime through QT. I can only hear the audio through the camera. Any ideas?

Trying to capture both video and audio to Quicktime Pro from DV camera

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.