5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 11, 2013 11:59 AM by Yarrow Sweningsen
jonmanheim Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I want to digitally archive raw footage from my mini-DV camera (canon ZR500) to an external hard drive.  I know I can capture all this footage through iMovie.  But it creates hundreds of these little .dv files. 

I just purchased Quicktime Pro as it looked like it could accomplish this task (just get me one .mov file with the the entire mini-DV tape's footage on it). Although I can record video just fine, the audio from the camera does not record.  While I am recording in Quicktime Pro, I can see the audio gauge at the bottom registering the audio input.  But when I playback, it is not there.  Do I need to hook up the camera with something other than just the standard Firewire?

BTW, I am on a Mac Mini, OS 10.7.3, iMovie 8.0.6

Thanks

Jon

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.3)
  • Gary Scotland Level 6 Level 6 (10,225 points)

its important to do this in the correct order so the camera will be senced by the Mac and to prevent the Firewire connection from electrical damage:

power down your Mac

connect firewire from camera to Mac

power on camera and insert tape in camera and play back

power up Mac

start QuickTime

File > Preferences > record tab

video source - select the camera you have

sound source - select the camera you have

quality - select device native

the video should show in the QuicTime window

a  green line below video will show presence of sound-it will play through the speakers if they are selected in system prefernces

rewind tape and playback

click on red button to start recording

• jonmanheim Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thanks.  But didn't help. I went through it all step by step.  When QT opened initially, the video played, the audio meter showed audio being sensed, AND I could close the camera viewfinder and hear the audio through my speakers.  I stopped playback, rewound the tape, started playback from where I  wanted to begin recording.  However, when I clicked the Record button on QT, it recorded only video.  again, the audio meter shows line-in is working.  But when I play back on QT, there is no audio.  Also, interestingly, i cannot get the audio to come through my speakers anymore when i playback the video realtime through QT.  I can only hear the audio through the camera.  Any ideas?

• jonmanheim Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Just figured it out.  A little wacky.  You have to open a new Movie Recording window in QT AFTER playback starts on the camera or audio doesn't get recorded.  If you first open a New Movie Recording window and THEN start playback, no audio from QT - either during playback on the speakers or during recording. 

Thanks!

Jon

• rlavere Level 1 Level 1 (45 points)

Your solution is absolutely correct, "jonmanheim". I struggled with this for two hours tonight before figuring it out; thanks for posting the answer.

• Yarrow Sweningsen Level 1 Level 1 (25 points)

Thank you Jon! Yours was the first correct aswer I found in much googling. What a weird idiosynchricity - totally counter-intuitive.