Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto will not attach photos to e-mail

While using iPhoto (version 8.1.2.) last night it stopped attaching any photos to my e-mails. It sends the photo number to the subject line but will not attach any photos to the message.

A new photo taken today will attach as normal but all old ones in the Events folders of iPhoto refuse to attach by any means available. I have tried using the 'Attach' facility in my Apple Mail (version 4.5) but although it brings up thumbnails photos it will not allow selection for attachment.

I have re-booted to no avail.

I followed some instructions on doing a 'Rebuild' of iPhoto but that hasn't worked.

I copied photos from a USB flash drive recently and then formatted the flash drive to clear the photos - could that have corrupted iPhoto somehow?

I'm 60+ and not very tech savvy so please be aware when trying to guide me!

Many thanks.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 3:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 4:40 PM

What happens when you double click on one of the photos that does not attach to your email? What do you see?

OT

9 replies

Jun 2, 2012 1:09 AM in response to Old Toad

When I double click on all my old photos in iPhoto, just as it begins to enlarge a huge exclamation mark ⚠ fills the screen in place of the photo.

But on my latest photo (downloaded to iPhoto after this problem first appeared) it opens as normal and also I can attach it to an e-mail without any problem.

I short, latest photos are OK but all previous ones will not open or attach to e-mails.

Jun 2, 2012 1:23 AM in response to peter herzl

The ! turns up when iPhoto loses the connection between the thumbnail in the iPhoto Window and the file it represents.

Option 1

Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Choose to Rebuild iPhoto Library Database from automatic backup.

If that fails:

Option 2

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. This will create a new library based on data in the albumdata.xml file. Not everything will be brought over - no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your albums and keywords back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one. .

Regards

TD

Jun 3, 2012 2:22 AM in response to seventy one

As Option 1 did not solve the problem I took a look at Option 2 - downloading the Library Manager but did not realise it was a non-Apple product so have decided to pop into an Apple store and have one of their experts look at my iMac.

I know I am probably being a bit over-cautious but being a bit timid and lacking in confidence I did not want to load 3rd party software onto my computer and get myself into a mess which would complicate things even more.

I'm really grateful to Terence and Old Toad for your suggestions and to Seventy One for your encouragement.

I think this community is amazing for its devoted participants and lightning speed of response.

I shall post the result of my visit to the Apple Store later next week for your mutual interest and benefit.

Kindest regards.

Peter

Jun 6, 2012 2:47 PM in response to Yer_Man

Just a courtesy note to let you all know that I visited the Apple store today and had one of their 'Genius Bar' staff look at my iMac.

Although the problem was well known to them it took some time to sort out and even at the end some files seemed to have been lost completely and could not even be retrieved from the external back-up disc.

They were unsure as to the cause but at least I have the majority of iPhoto files back with only a small loss.

Having seen the trouble they had and the time it took them I'm glad I did not attempt to try a fix myself!!

Thanks anyway to all who gave advice.

Kind regards.

Peter

iPhoto will not attach photos to e-mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.