Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can' trash appl in use

I am trying to remove an old application "Dropbox" which is not working so I can install a newer version.

When I try to trash it, I am told that it is in use. Even after I restart the computer I am still told it is in use.

What does this mean?

I want to trash it from my applications folder.

Mary Lou

iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 2:53 PM

15 replies

Jun 1, 2012 9:13 PM in response to Mary Frost

Well, in pure Apple File System talk... -36 ioErr I/O error (bummers)

Not very helpful, but generally means a Drive quit being Readable or Writable since starting the operation...

http://fuzzy.wordpress.com/2006/12/10/ioerror-36/

Could be many things, we should start with this...

"Try Disk Utility

1. Insert the Mac OS X Install disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.

2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu at top of the screen. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)

*Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.*

3. Click the First Aid tab.

4. Select your Mac OS X volume.

5. Click Repair Disk, (not Repair Permissions). Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk."

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106214

Then try a Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, reboot when it completes.

(Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive.)

If perchance you can't find your install Disc, or are running 10.7+, at least try it from the Safe Boot part onward.

Jun 2, 2012 5:37 PM in response to BDAqua

I followed your directions and did a "Disk Repair" from the original CD. It found nothing to repair. I then did a Safe Boot and repaired preferences. It found nothong to repair.

I'm not going to try to see if I can trash Dropbox until I learn whether there is something else to do.

One other thing, I have Adobe Photoshop CS4 installed in my computer. Recently its companion application, "Bridge" stopped working. I uninstalled the entire application and reinstalled it. CS4 came but Bridge didn't install. MIght this be connected to the other problem?

Mary Lou

Jun 3, 2012 11:17 AM in response to BDAqua

Latest update! When I booted in safe mode and tried to reinstall CS3, it interrupted the process asking for Photoshop Elements 6 disk! It's ages since I had that program installed. I found what I thought was that disk but it ignored it. I then tried Elements 8 but it ignored it, too......so......I reinstalled Elements 8 and got back Bridge (actually it is the CS4 Bridge which came with Elements 8).

Bingo, I now have Bridge back and it works with both CS3 and Elements. Evidently my CS3 original disk must have gotten corrupted and lost Bridge.

I'm back in business. Thanks so much for all your input.

Mary Lou

can' trash appl in use

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.