Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My flash drive is not showing up in Finder.

A couple weeks ago I put my flash drive into my MacBook Pro but accidentily dragged it somewhere. I can't find it anywhere in the Finder or desktop. Where could it be or how can I find it?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 5:55 PM

10 replies

Jun 1, 2012 6:04 PM in response to beckykwise

Hi Becky,

Spotloght Search should be able to fix your problem. Just click on the search icon in the upper-right hand corner of the screen, the icon furthest to the right on the menu bar. {Reminder: this solution only works if you have Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) or above, as anything before that doesn't have Spotlight. To check your operating system, go to Apple Menu > About This Mac. The operating system will be displayed there under the words "Mac OS X."} After entering Spotlight, type the name of your flash drive into the search bar. If you're unsure of the name, or it doesn't have a name, type NO NAME into the search, and if you see your flash drive, you'll have your issue fixed.

Hope this helped!

Stephen

Jun 1, 2012 6:13 PM in response to beckykwise

Becky, at the top of your screen where you see the drop down menus, select Finder>Preferences

From inside Preferences Go to General and make sure External disks is selected, like thisUser uploaded file

Then in the same Finder>preferences select Sidebar, and Under devices make sure external disks are selected again. like this:

User uploaded file

May 4, 2016 7:57 AM in response to stasi14

My issue was not that the devices weren't check. I had two decrypted files which I ejected, then I saw that the device was marked as Unmounted. I had to Mount this device. After that, I was gold. Then I deleted the two files my husband put on there. The problem happened right after he put two files on my drive.

My flash drive is not showing up in Finder.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.