Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Strange water damage.

Alright, went on a hike today, and even though I kept it (4S) in a plastic bag when not taking pictures, I have water damage. It won't respond to anything, and the flash near the camera is stuck on.

Miracle solution?

iPhone 4S

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 6:46 PM

12 replies

Jun 1, 2012 11:13 PM in response to gdgmacguy

Yea, I understand. I figured it might have been worth posting though, considering what caused it was, in my opinion, an extremely arbitrary amount of water. I get that it's done if you drop it in, but a few seconds of light rain, followed by a quick (not quite so thorough, but nonetheless) drying off? It just seems odd to me.

Jun 1, 2012 11:36 PM in response to Conmac2

It might not seem so odd if your had ever seen the corroded insides of an iPhone that "only had a few drops of rain on it"...

Turn off the phone. Put in in a plastic bag filled with uncooked rice, seal the bag, and don't touch it for at least 5 days. If you can get silica drying packets, use them instead of rice, but the sooner you can start, the less likely there is permanent damage.

Jun 2, 2012 12:59 PM in response to KiltedTim

Regarding the rice: As the warranty is already voided, would it be beneficial to remove the back cover and possibly the battery, and immerse them all seperately? I know this used to be the procedure for some older, non-iPhones, but I suspect Apple's inner workings may be a bit more delicate..

And KiltedTim, that actually makes immensely more sense than anything else I've heard. Thank you.

Jun 2, 2012 1:58 PM in response to Conmac2

Okay, Due to the fact that your warentye is already voided. I know a solution. I too had watter damage on my iPhone 4. There is a product called "iRevive" The problem is all on your Logic Board. I do not recomend doing this unless you are capible of taking the logic board out. If you THINK you can do it. DONT! You NEED to know what you are doing because one wrong move can mess you up!

I did it. I still had some issues but ya know. Its better than it not turning on at all.

(WARNING: IF YOU BEND, PUNCTURE,ECT YOUR BATTERY IT MAY BLOW UP (As in get bigger) AND YOUR BACK PLATE WILL NOT GO BACK ON CORRECTLY I KNOW THIS CAUSE IM SUFFERING THIS ISSUE NOW!)

Jun 2, 2012 2:43 PM in response to HCDrummer1996

HCDrummer1996 wrote:

Well, If you know what your doing. It is.

"I did it. I still had some issues but ya know". Its better than it not turning on at all.

(WARNING: IF YOU BEND, PUNCTURE,ECT YOUR BATTERY IT MAY BLOW UP (As in get bigger) AND YOUR BACK PLATE WILL NOT GO BACK ON CORRECTLY I KNOW THIS CAUSE IM SUFFERING THIS ISSUE NOW!)"

We'll take your word for it.

Strange water damage.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.