Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro sale ends tomorrow...

I'm new to the Mac world but have finally decided to dive in with a new 17" MacBook Pro. Best Buy is offering ~$200 off list but only with 4MB RAM. Can I bump this up to 8MB after my purchase? And if so, will I pay a premium for buying the additional memory after the fact (ie, more than I'd pay if I bought the MacBook originally configured with 8MB)? Do I have to go to Apple for intillation and would there be a fee? Also, are there any advantages to buying directly from Apple as opposed to a 3rd party? The sale ends tomorrow (6/2/12) so quick responses would be greatly appeciated.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 7:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 7:28 PM

macsales.com or crucual.com is a good source for quality RAM. 8 GB will run you $50.

Installation is easy (you will get a booklet with pictures to show you how). Even *I* was able to do it without breaking anything.

Buy the MBP of your choice and get the basic 4 GB RAM while on sale.

Even better news is that 16 GB RAM, which used to be $900+ is now as inexpensive as $170. Soon (I hope) it will be only $100-ish, which is only 2x as expensive as 8 GB.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 1, 2012 7:28 PM in response to gregoryfromsierravista

macsales.com or crucual.com is a good source for quality RAM. 8 GB will run you $50.

Installation is easy (you will get a booklet with pictures to show you how). Even *I* was able to do it without breaking anything.

Buy the MBP of your choice and get the basic 4 GB RAM while on sale.

Even better news is that 16 GB RAM, which used to be $900+ is now as inexpensive as $170. Soon (I hope) it will be only $100-ish, which is only 2x as expensive as 8 GB.

Jun 1, 2012 7:29 PM in response to gregoryfromsierravista

Apple memory is like a convenience store. Yes, they have the stuff right there and it is cold. But you pay dearly for it.

If you have ever done a memory upgrade in any computer without trashing your computer or drawing blood, you can save quite a bit of money by buying from Mac-centric Vendors.

You tell them what Mac you have,and they send you SODIMMs guaranteed to work or your money back. If they ever fail, these Vendors promise to replace them.

http://macsales.com/

http://www.datamemorysystems.com/apple-memory.asp

MacBook Pro sale ends tomorrow...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.