Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule cannot re-join wireless network

Hi,

i'm trying to get my new TC to join my existing network. initially it appears on my airport utility and then i start the settings. it says it was completed succesfully and asks me to wait for TC to re-start. then, after a few minutes, i get a message saying that although settings have been updated successfully it could not re-join the network and for that moment onwards the airport utility cannot see TC. the only way to get it to see the TC again is by reseting the TC. but then i tried again and again and it always ends up with the same problem.

I'm using D-Link wireless router DIR-655.

i belive i'm using the latest versions of OX (new Macbook) and Airport utility. had everything updated.

I also have an airport express on the network which works fine and i had no problems installing it. I disconnected it now, as i thought it might be related to the problem.

I prefer not to connect the TC with an ethernet cable, i just want it to join my network, do some backing-up and connect to my printer (my printer and router are not in the same room so connecting to the router via ethernet wont work for me). that's what i bought it for...for being able to connect wirelessly. ..

would appreciate any tips,

THANKS!

MM Trying

time capsule

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 7:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2012 6:19 AM

If you check the Setup Manual for the Time Capsule, you will see that Apple does not provide instructions for the type of configuration that you are asking about.

That's because they do not officially support this type of configuration due to compatibility issues between wireless devices of different manufacturers.

I'm not recommending that you connect the Time Capsule using wireless only, but if you want to try it anyway, keep in mind that there are 3 critical settings that must be provided to the Time Capsule, so that it might join the network correctly.

1) Wireless network name

2) Wireless network password

3) Exact type of wireless security that the D-Link router is using

Most users know the name and password of their wireless network, but few know the exact type of wireless security settings that their router is using. The settings on the D-Link and Time Capsule must match up exactly in this regard if the Time Capsule will have any chance of joining the network using wireless only.

You may need to get into the configuration settings for the D-Link if you do not know the exact type of wireless security that it is using.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 2, 2012 6:19 AM in response to MM Trying

If you check the Setup Manual for the Time Capsule, you will see that Apple does not provide instructions for the type of configuration that you are asking about.

That's because they do not officially support this type of configuration due to compatibility issues between wireless devices of different manufacturers.

I'm not recommending that you connect the Time Capsule using wireless only, but if you want to try it anyway, keep in mind that there are 3 critical settings that must be provided to the Time Capsule, so that it might join the network correctly.

1) Wireless network name

2) Wireless network password

3) Exact type of wireless security that the D-Link router is using

Most users know the name and password of their wireless network, but few know the exact type of wireless security settings that their router is using. The settings on the D-Link and Time Capsule must match up exactly in this regard if the Time Capsule will have any chance of joining the network using wireless only.

You may need to get into the configuration settings for the D-Link if you do not know the exact type of wireless security that it is using.

Time Capsule cannot re-join wireless network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.