Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I would like to see new grandbabies on my son's Facetime. I don't care if they can see me. I have a Mac Mini OS X 10.6.8 which has no camera. I would prefer not to buy a camera. Is it possible for me to view their twins under these circumstances? thanks

I would like to see new grandbabies on my son's Facetime. I don't care if they can see me. I have a Mac Mini OS X 10.6.8 which has no camera. I would prefer not to buy a camera. Is it possible for me to view their twins under these circumstances? thanks

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 7:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 7:55 PM

I'm reasonably sure both you need a camera to use FaceTime, but if only your son has a computer with a camera you can both use Skype. If your Mini has a microphone he will be able to talk to you, and you can talk to and see him, but he will not see you.

Download Skype here:

http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/get-skype/on-your-computer/macosx/

Skype is free and pretty easy to set up. You just need an email address.

If you want to buy a camera search for a "webcam". Logitech makes a wide variety. They sell for $50 or so and any of them should work with FaceTime.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 1, 2012 7:55 PM in response to Beverlyfromia

I'm reasonably sure both you need a camera to use FaceTime, but if only your son has a computer with a camera you can both use Skype. If your Mini has a microphone he will be able to talk to you, and you can talk to and see him, but he will not see you.

Download Skype here:

http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/get-skype/on-your-computer/macosx/

Skype is free and pretty easy to set up. You just need an email address.

If you want to buy a camera search for a "webcam". Logitech makes a wide variety. They sell for $50 or so and any of them should work with FaceTime.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.