Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

screen brightness on windows 8

Hey,

I've installed windows 8 release preview on my macbbok pro (boot camp) and everything seems to work by the screen brightness is kind of low...According to display settings in win8 it's set to maximum. I have it set on maximum in mac os lion, i also tried to use F1 and F2 keys in windows 8 (it's working) but the maximum brightness is still low (like 50 percent in mac os). Any ideas please how to solve this? Many thanks!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jun 2, 2012 1:13 AM

14 replies

Jun 3, 2012 2:00 AM in response to marekmar

a) In Device Manager, you could right click Display Adapter to "Update Driver Software". In Mac Pro 3.1, Windows 8 gives me an unseen before: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series (Engineering Sample - WDDM v1.1) even though I ran the Video driver updates from Bootcamp. In my case (with ATI,) if I had your problem, I would get latest driver with Catalyst control center which has brightness & contrast controls.

b) Right click desktop->Screen Resolution->Advanced Settings->Color Management->Advanced Tab->Calibrate Display.. Drag slider down to make it look like the Good Gama setting or up to brighten?

c) The F1/F2 Apple keyboard brightness keys have never done anything for me in any Windows version. Only brightness variance I have noticed is after coming out of Sleep mode, when display is less bright.

Jun 3, 2012 11:56 AM in response to ReMacs

@ReMacs,

Thanks for the tip about updating the driver software! Just tried it out and windows did the update and all of a sudden my screen brightness shot up like 3x.

Unfortunately as soon as I tried adjusting the brightness down it locked again to be very low :-(

At least I know that it's possible to get the brightness cranked up, now just to keep it that way and still be able to control it.

Feb 26, 2014 6:04 AM in response to marekmar

I had the same problem in Windows 8.1. I tired fixing with the Geek's Brightness Solving way but in my case it was useless. So I tried many things and finally i have found the solution for this Brightness issue Which took my half life away.... The problem is in the Light Sensor driver in the bootcamp. What you need to do as i did and got my full Brightness back. Follow my lead and you will be fine.

1-> Goto Control Panel

2-> Device Manager

3-> Look for Sensors

4-> Expand it and Right click the "Light Sensor"

5-> click "Uninstall"

Here you go... Everything will be fine.

hope it works in windows 8 or later as well....😉

screen brightness on windows 8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.