Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I connect time capsule to wifi

Posted on Jun 2, 2012 3:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 5:39 PM

I am having a similar problem with my time capsule. I previously had it configured to create a wireless network and everything was running smoothly. In my new apartment I am trying to configure it to join the current wireless network since there isn't an option for hard-wiring it with an ethernet cable. When I run the setup it does not connect and blinks amber. In airport utilities it shows that there is an internet connection, but the time capsule will not connect to the network. Any advice?

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 14, 2013 5:39 PM in response to Bob Timmons

I am having a similar problem with my time capsule. I previously had it configured to create a wireless network and everything was running smoothly. In my new apartment I am trying to configure it to join the current wireless network since there isn't an option for hard-wiring it with an ethernet cable. When I run the setup it does not connect and blinks amber. In airport utilities it shows that there is an internet connection, but the time capsule will not connect to the network. Any advice?

Jun 2, 2012 5:19 AM in response to morenoaf

Yes, it is possible.. are you just doing TM backups.. and how do you get internet??

Once setup there is no need for ethernet to the TC.

You can join it to existing network.. the option is hidden because it is poor way to do things.. but when you select wireless mode, hold down the option key and other options will emerge. join existing wireless network being one of them.

Jun 2, 2012 6:45 AM in response to morenoaf

If you check the Setup Manual for the Time Capsule, you will see that Apple does not provide instructions for the type of configuration that you are asking about.

That's because they do not officially support this type of configuration due to compatibility issues between wireless devices of different manufacturers.

I'm not recommending that you connect the Time Capsule using wireless only, but if you want to try it anyway, keep in mind that there are 3 critical settings that must be provided to the Time Capsule, so that it might join the network correctly.

1) Wireless network name

2) Wireless network password

3) Exact type of wireless security that your wireless router is using

Most users know the name and password of their wireless network, but few know the exact type of wireless security settings that their router is using.

The settings on your wireless router and Time Capsule must match up exactly in this regard if the Time Capsule will have any chance of joining the network using wireless only.

You may need to get into the configuration settings for your wireless router if you do not know the exact type of wireless security that it is using.

Jun 17, 2012 9:05 AM in response to Bob Timmons

I am having issues trying to connect to my Time Capsule over an existing Wi-Fi network but see nothing that says Apple do not support this configuration? It even allows me to choose the WiFi option.

I am having real issues with this and can't seem to find a solution without using a cable and the last thing I want is a cable running half way across the house.

Jun 17, 2012 9:36 AM in response to IainFL

If you check the Setup Manual that came with your Time Capsule, you will see that the only type of hook up listed is one in which the Time Capsule connects to the network using a wired Ethernet connection.

There are no instructions or illustrations for a TC connection that would be wireless only.

It might be possible to configure the TC using the "Join a wireless network" setting, but Apple will not offer any support for this in the event of difficulties.

I do not recommend this type of setup for most users....because it is difficult to configure...and sometimes not possible....with a router that is not made by Apple.

As I already posted in a previous thread above.....

I'm not recommending that you connect the Time Capsule using wireless only, but if you want to try it anyway, keep in mind that there are 3 critical settings that must be provided to the Time Capsule, so that it might join the network correctly.

1) Wireless network name

2) Wireless network password

3) Exact type of wireless security that your wireless router is using

Most users know the name and password of their wireless network, but few know the exact type of wireless security settings that their router is using.

The settings on your wireless router and Time Capsule must match up exactly in this regard if the Time Capsule will have any chance of joining the network using wireless only.

You may need to get into the configuration settings for your wireless router if you do not know the exact type of wireless security that it is using.

If it is not possible to run an Ethernet cable to the proposed TC location, then the next best option would be to locate the TC closer to the router so that it will connect using Ethernet.

If that is still not possible, the next option to consider is to use a pair of Ethernet powerline adapters to send an "Ethernet" signal over the existing AC powerlines in your home.

But, these devices tend to be "iffy". They do not always work as expected due to noise that can be present on the AC lines. So, if you decide to try these, it would be a good idea to understand the store's return policy before you buy.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.