Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

problem moving files

I have 9 NUMBERS files in my numbers (Ver. '09) folder that I want to separate. My problem is when I drag a file to a new folder it creates an alias instead moving the original file. I never encountered this before

Imac 3.06 GHz intel Core 2 Duo,NICKMacBook_13inch_Aluminum_Late2008, Mac OS X (10.7.1), 4gb ram

Posted on Jun 2, 2012 7:28 AM

6 replies

Jun 2, 2012 10:51 AM in response to Nick Savas

You should not store documents in the Applications folder, either the main one on the first level of your hard drive or the one in your home folder. No intent to be condescending, but documents belong in your Documents folder. Numbers does not have a specific documents folder unless you create one. Saving any iWork files to the Desktop can cause other issues.

The source of your problem may be that the files are in an Applications folder so you may have to do some extra work to get them moved to a more appropriate place. Start by creating a sub-folder in your Documents folder & copying the files from where they are to this folder by dragging them holding down the Option key. Then you can delete them from the original location. You could try dragging them while holding down the Command key which will move the files, but this may not work because of the location of the original files.

Here's a screenshot of my filing system done more than five years ago.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

problem moving files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.