Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

eMail addresses automatically added to Address Book (Disable)

I recently discovered that many random email addresses are being added to my address book. The majority is junk and is clogging my address book with entries that could possibly be spam addresses. First off, is there something I inadvertantly turned on? Is there a way to disable this feature?

I have installed one tool called Attachment Tamer (ver3.0.10 from Lokiware) but this does not seem to have anything relevant.

TIA

MacBook Pro (17-inch Core 2 Duo), Mac OS X (10.7.4), 2.2 ghz i7 CD2, 8gb ram, 750gb hd

Posted on Jun 2, 2012 8:23 AM

2 replies

Jun 3, 2012 8:42 AM in response to Rick Wintheiser1

Are you talking about the actual Address Book application? There is nothing in the OS that harvests email addresses from your email and places it in the Address Book. It would have to be a third-party thing doing that.

There is a Previous Recipients database that stores addresses you've sent to, but should only be addresses you have sent to.

Apr 9, 2014 11:33 AM in response to Barney-15E

That is what I am talking about and while I have never seen any option for automaticaly harvesting email addresses for address book, that is what is happening.

If there is a third party product doing it, I have no idea what it is or where it came from. If anyone can tell me, I'd be very appreciative.

My address book just keeps getting bigger and bigger with cards that are simply an email address and no people associated - and often from spammers. Its like the thing has a life of its own and I cannot figure it out.

eMail addresses automatically added to Address Book (Disable)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.