Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow Wifi Connection since 10.7.4

Hi,

I have an iMac Late 2006 24" running 10.7.4.

Today I was wondering about a slow download from a server which is normally reliably fast.

I checked my connection with http://www.speedtest.net/ and it maxed out at 3MBit/s with a ping of more than 50 ms.

It is not the router, since I checked with my macbook (10.6.8) with the same browser (chrome 19 and safari) on the same WLAN SSID on the same Channel 6.

On the Macbook I get full speed ( 32 MBit/s ) and a ping of less than 20ms.

That is from the same location where both macs have a perfect signal.

I checked with Bootcamp to sort out a Mac osx issue but even with Windows 7 I get the same result of 3MBit/s and more than 50ms (this time checking with firefox 12). Downloading a recent linux distro gives the same speed.

The connection is not dropping, ping reaches a few hundred ms some time but besides that, I get constant 3MBit/s.

Any idea where I went wrong, since a few weeks ago I got the same 32MBit/s and low ping with my iMac, too.

Any help is appreciated.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4), iMac6,1 / 2,16GHz / BCM43xx 1.0

Posted on Jun 2, 2012 8:15 AM

1 reply

Jun 2, 2012 10:40 AM in response to Winfer

Troubleshooting wi-fi issues

WiFi update 10.7.3

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1501

Apple DNS Servers:

Wireless Improvements

Move the Base Station If interference is particularly bad in one part of your house or office, move the base station to another location. But this can be tricky if your AirPort base station has to connect to the broadband feed coming into the house and that feed happens to enter at a particularly interference-prone spot.

Use the 5GHz Band Compared with the 2.4GHz band, the 5GHz band is practically empty. The newest AirPort Extreme Base Station is one of the few Wi-Fi base stations designed for home use that work in that 5GHz band. All of Apple’s Core 2 Duo laptops and iMacs (except the discontinued 17-inch 1.87GHz model) can also use the 5GHz band; with the build-to-order wireless option, so can the Mac Pro.

To switch to the 5GHz band, launch AirPort Utility, select your base station, and switch to Manual Setup. Click on the AirPort button and select the Wireless tab. Select 802.11n Only (5 GHz) from the Radio Mode pop-up menu. Click on the Wireless Options button and select Use Wide Channels. Click on Update to restart the base station.

Currently, no Mac-compatible adapters enable you to use the 5GHz band in older Macs or with older versions of OS X.

Here are many Firmware updates I am unable to test with my system, some of which may apply to your system.

http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=search&src=support_site.home.search&local e=en_US&q=keyboard%20firmware%20update

Slow Wifi Connection since 10.7.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.