Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Kokonor and Corsiva Hebrew font question

When using Pages, I've found that the fonts Kokonor and Corsiva Hebrew appear identical. They are not coming up in Tibetan or Hebrew characters as they are meant to. Instead, they show up to something similar to Monotype Corsiva, but less italic and with fancy swashes/flourishes depending on letter placement. Does anyone know what this font is that Kokonor and Corsiva Hebrew are defaulting to? I work in a retail store and an important client really likes how these fonts look, and she'd like to purchase them for herself, but we cannot find out what this original font is called. I've looked everywhere online. Does anyone have any suggestions/ideas/answers? Thank you for your help!

P.S. Below is an image of the font I'm talking about. This is how both Kokonor and Corsiva Hebrew are appearing for me. The first and last letters change depending on what letters surround them. For instance, if the "N" was not the last letter, it would not have the flourish.

User uploaded file

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.3), Pages '09

Posted on Jun 2, 2012 12:27 PM

6 replies

Jun 2, 2012 1:47 PM in response to Bria513

Bria513 wrote:

They are not coming up in Tibetan or Hebrew characters as they are meant to.

You probably don't understand how languages work on a modern computer. You can't just change the font, you have to change the keyboard in system prefs/language & text/input methods.

If you type Latin characters in fonts like Kokonor and Corsiva which do not have them, something else will be used. In this case it looks like Apple Chancery

Dec 20, 2012 9:29 PM in response to Bria513

I have the same issue. I know that it is not coming up with Apple Chancery or Monotype Corsiva as a default font replacement for Corsiva Hebrew. The letters are not the same. Here is an example of the lettering for Corsiva Hebrew:

User uploaded file

When I use the Apple Chancery I get this:

User uploaded file

When I use Monotype Corsiva I get this:

User uploaded file

So you see there is quite a bit of difference between the three. I have checked all my fonts and cannot seem to match the first one to anything else I have on my system. Any help would be much appreciated in solving this mystery.

Dec 21, 2012 4:28 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Tom,

Yes, you are right! I was racking my brain about it and went through all of my fonts again. Apparently Apple Chancery changes in Pages depending on where the character is in the phrase or sentence. As Bria 513 says, "The first and last letters change depending on what letters surround them."

What I'd like to know is why this only happens in Pages. I have Pages 09. Is there a setting to allow the glyph varient to occur in other applications? I have tried writing the same text in Photoshop and Scribus with no varient taking place.

I also think it is funny that a font such as Corsiva Hebrew would render with some other font rather than showing blank squares as they do in Scribus when the font is unavailable. Do you have any idea why?

Sharon

Dec 21, 2012 4:45 PM in response to sharonfrommilwaukie

The glyph variants normally require an Apple app -- they won't work with something by Adobe or many other third parties.

All modern unicode apps should normally automatically substitute another font when the one selected does not have the characters present in the text data. I think those that don't do that are missing something in their programming.

Kokonor and Corsiva Hebrew font question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.