Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why isn't my iMac transferring files over network at wireless-n speeds?

First of all here's my setup: 30d/4u Charter internet coming in through my Linksys modem, from there to port 1 of my 2006 Intel Xserve running NAT and DHCP, out from port 2 of the Xserve into my AirPort Extreme running in Bridge Mode, and then out to my other devices.

My AirPort setup is as follows: Internet tab-DHCP, address set by Xserve; Wireless tab-Create a wireless network, WPA/WPA 2 Personal; Wireless Options...-5 GHz network name is not checked, Radio mode is set to 802.11a/n-802.11b/g/n (Automatic), both 2.4 and 5 GHz channels are set to Automatic; Network tab-Off (Bridge Mode).

I am transferring 100+ GB of data across the network to my Xserve, but it is only Xferring at 5.5 MB/s, or around 44 Mbps, which isn't even at wireless-g speeds.

My iMac is the Mid 2010 27" BTO w/ 2.93 i7 and 8 GB of RAM. It is also wireless-n compatible.

The Xserve is wired and they have had gigabit NICs since the G5s.

Things I've tried:

In Wireless Options... I tried turning Radio Mode to 802.11a/n-802.11b/g and leaving 5 GHz network name unchecked, but the speeds were down in the 2 MB/s range.

Again in Wireless Options... I checked the box for 5 GHz network name, and left Radio Mode in Auto, joined the 5 GHz network on my iMac, tried again, but again only 2 MB/s or less.

In Wireless Options... again, I checked the 5 GHz network name box, and set Radio Mode to a/n-b/g, but ocne again, it ran at 2 MB/s or less.

The AirPort Extreme is model A1354, which is obviously 802.11n compatible, and the iMac is also 802.11n compatible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is painfully slow and I don't know what the bottleneck would be here.

Posted on Jun 2, 2012 2:43 PM

2 replies

Why isn't my iMac transferring files over network at wireless-n speeds?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.