Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iMac loses its wireless connection repeatedly

My iMac loses it's wireless connection repeatedly. The only solution seems to be deleteing the wireless network from the Network Preferences, and then deleting the network password from Keychain. But I have to do this five or six times nightly. Help!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.1)

Posted on Jun 2, 2012 6:35 PM

9 replies

Jun 3, 2012 6:19 AM in response to steveod1

Softwre Update would bring you up to 10.7.4 and there have been updates involving WiFi. Also here are some links to potential fixes:

Troubleshooting wi-fi issues

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3421

WiFi update 10.7.3

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1501

Apple DNS Servers:

Wireless Improvements

Move the Base Station If interference is particularly bad in one part of your house or office, move the base station to another location. But this can be tricky if your AirPort base station has to connect to the broadband feed coming into the house and that feed happens to enter at a particularly interference-prone spot.

Use the 5GHz Band Compared with the 2.4GHz band, the 5GHz band is practically empty. The newest AirPort Extreme Base Station is one of the few Wi-Fi base stations designed for home use that work in that 5GHz band. All of Apple’s Core 2 Duo laptops and iMacs (except the discontinued 17-inch 1.87GHz model) can also use the 5GHz band; with the build-to-order wireless option, so can the Mac Pro.

To switch to the 5GHz band, launch AirPort Utility, select your base station, and switch to Manual Setup. Click on the AirPort button and select the Wireless tab. Select 802.11n Only (5 GHz) from the Radio Mode pop-up menu. Click on the Wireless Options button and select Use Wide Channels. Click on Update to restart the base station.

Currently, no Mac-compatible adapters enable you to use the 5GHz band in older Macs or with older versions of OS X.

These Firmware updates may or may not apply to your system, but may help with your particular problem.

http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=search&src=support_site.home.search&local e=en_US&q=keyboard%20firmware%20update

Jun 22, 2012 8:41 PM in response to steveod1

I'm also having this problem. Currently I'm running 10.7.4, but it's been happening since Lion. I restart my iMac about 5 times a day just to re-establish a wireless connection.

Note: Normally, my wi-fi icon shows about 20 networks in range. However, once I've lost the connection, it does not detect any at all.

(I frequently need to restart for other reasons too: Failure to wake from sleep, frozen dock, loss of all Bluetooth connections, etc. All told, I need to restart this thing about 7 times every day. Remember when Macs just worked? I miss those days.)

Jun 23, 2012 7:19 AM in response to steveod1

For some users deleting the network then reacquireing your network so settings are reset, then deleting any network not used in your preferred list and your system is at the top, unchecking "ask to join networks" and finally turning iPv6 off or setting to "local xxx" in your TCP/IP panel. Then Apply.

Jun 24, 2012 1:17 PM in response to RRFS

RRFS wrote:

To switch to the 5GHz band, launch AirPort Utility, select your base station, and switch to Manual Setup. Click on the AirPort button and select the Wireless tab. Select 802.11n Only (5 GHz) from the Radio Mode pop-up menu. Click on the Wireless Options button and select Use Wide Channels. Click on Update to restart the base station.

I'm using Airport Utility 6.1 with Time Capsule, and my only options for Radio Mode are:

• 802.11a/n - 802.11b/g/n (Automatic)
  • 802.11a/n - 802.11b/g
  • 802.11a - 802.11b/g

I also don't see any option for "Use Wide Channels."

I've tried all the other suggestions, and nothing has worked. 😟

My iMac loses its wireless connection repeatedly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.