Skip navigation

how to move files from root to user

579 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Jun 3, 2012 8:10 PM by Barney-15E RSS
Cosman Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Jun 2, 2012 6:48 PM

I was having a lot of problems with my new (Christmas 11) MPB.  It  was very sluggish and occasionally would freeze.  I took it to my Apple Store and the Genius said I was running all my apps in root and had too many files on the desktop.   They should be under a user.  Any files on the desktop are refreshed frequently, such as graphics (CAD, pictures, etc.) and that was what was killing performance.  She then proceded to move my files/apps to my user profile.

Since I am the only user, I never paid any attention to where the files were.

I would like to verify the information above and do the same process on two other computers, but I didn't catch enough of what she did to do it solo.

Would appreciate some instructions on this so I don't screw up two computers.

Thanks

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3), I7, 8GB, 750GB, Lion
  • Linc Davis Level 10 Level 10 (108,150 points)
    Jun 2, 2012 7:08 PM (in response to Cosman)

...the Genius said I was running all my apps in root...

That makes no sense. If that's what she said, she didn't know what she was talking about.

...and had too many files on the desktop.

That does make sense. You should minimize the amount of clutter on the Desktop.

• Linc Davis Level 10 Level 10 (108,150 points)
    Jun 2, 2012 7:39 PM (in response to Cosman)

I can't be sure, but it sounds like she was moving applications from the Applications folder into your home folder, which is absurd. It won't help performance. All it does is to make the applications vulnerable to accidental or intentional damage. Some may not work properly in that location. Do you have a bunch of applications in your home folder?

• softwater Level 5 Level 5 (5,370 points)
    Jun 2, 2012 10:06 PM (in response to Cosman)

Are you sure she said 'root' and not 'Admin'?

It's common advice to tell people not to run their system in an Admin account and use a standard user account instead.

• X423424X Level 6 Level 6 (14,190 points)
    Jun 2, 2012 10:06 PM (in response to Cosman)

If you are logging in with a user id other than "root" you are not logging in as root.  So I am inclined to agree with softwater that you are most probably logging in with your admin account.

• Barney-15E Level 7 Level 7 (33,560 points)
    Jun 3, 2012 8:10 PM (in response to Cosman)

Cosman wrote:

So, let's rephrase the question.  What is it that causes slowdown and freezing if programs/files are run in admin/root and is fixed when the programs/files are moved out of admin/root and into the user's folder.

Couldn't possibly explain without knowing where "admin/root" is located. Where exactly were the files and where exactly were they moved?

Without knowing that, there is no way we can guess what was wrong.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.