Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 13" vs 15" for College?

I am going to college in the fall as a science major, and possibly double majoring with art. I have only ever had a PC, but have never liked them. I use Microsoft Office and Power Point a lot, as well as do some amature video and photo editing. Music, video, and photo storage is a must as well as being able to run several different programs at a time. I am not a gamer, but need to be able to have a good program to burn videos and pics.

Unfortunately I don't have unlimited funds to spend on my dream Mac. Portablility is very important would need it to last at least 4 years. I'm not hard on things, but it will get plenty of use. The MBP 13" 2.8 GHz seems like a much better deal than the MBP 15" 2.2 GHz, but I have a feeling it may not be enough. What do you all think?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jun 2, 2012 9:44 PM

27 replies

Jun 2, 2012 9:48 PM in response to hayleyfrommt

Main differences I consider between 13 and 15:

Advantages to 13:

Lighter

Disadvantage to 13

Low resolution screen

Only glossy screen is an option

Only graphics chip is part of the CPU and is not high-powered

Advantage to 15

High-resolution screen (1680x1050) is an option

Anti-glare screen in an option

Separate graphics chip that has its own dedicated VRAM (virtual RAM) that is not on the CPU

Disdvantage 15

Heavier

Jun 2, 2012 9:49 PM in response to hayleyfrommt

Macs tend to be less resource intensive so even a less powerful processor will run multimedia software faster than it's PC equivalent. What you need to consider is what you will be looking at primarily and what screen size is optimal for that. For example, I got the 15" model beause I code, and scrolling through hundreds of lines of code on a 13" screen would suck. But the 13" is definitely more portable and lightweight, and will do everything you need it to. If I were you I'd go to an Apple store and have a play with both models, see which one you like better. The 15" is still pretty small and lightweight, but my girlfriend would have more trouble lugging it around all day than I would. Hope that helped a little!

Jun 2, 2012 9:55 PM in response to bshaas

I found that buying a really good backpack makes lugging around less of a hassle. I bought a Booq when I bought my first MBP over six years ago and am still using it. Wear and tear has been minimal. Now I have it on back of my wheelchair and the shoulder straps are still holding up even though I sometimes may lug around 20 pounds of "stuff."

Clinton

Jun 2, 2012 10:03 PM in response to hayleyfrommt

As to backpacks ...

I bought a SwissGear backpack designed for 15-in laptops 3 years ago. The main hold strap is a thick metal cable is a plactic tubes and riveted to the main case at eithe rend by 2 rivets. The straps have "limited stretch" ability by using strech material sewn to nylon straps that limit the expansion -- but that "give" lets the backpack bounce while you feel very little. Also has a thick rubberized botton so you can put it on any concrete surface and not fear rocks cutting through the bottom.

I have put the backpack through he-ll and it still survives quite well.

Jun 2, 2012 10:22 PM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

Mine still has a few days of its 1-year warranty left and I already added AppleCare. Not that I have needed it yet.

Not speculating about the exact "when" of a new MBP generation, but ... *IF* (only Apple Inc knows when) a new model hits around college-start, some very new and higher-specced models will be in the refurbished section or "on sale" through Apple (Apple's definition of sale generally means 5% off).

Jun 2, 2012 10:24 PM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

clinton-

Presuming Birmingham means UK, that store has them as well:

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

They are as good as new. They meet all the same standards and are in pristine condition. The only difference is that if DOA, they cannot be exchanged from [new] store inventory, they must be returned.

Jun 3, 2012 10:52 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

clinton-

I see from some other threads that Birmingham means AL, not UK. My apologies.

Ogelthorpe bought one and got cheated badly. Oh his was pristine, worked well, had no issues whatsoever, and was covered by the Apple warranty. It was also eligible for AppleCare extension to three year coverage at regular pricing. And it did indeed cost hundreds of dollars less than "new".

But his came in a plain brown box. Obviously he got taken. I urged him to return it for one in a good White box, and not put up with such abuse from Apple!

(He was not very responsive to my suggestion.)

Jun 3, 2012 4:16 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Grant Bennet-Alder, Greetings: I note your statement "But his came in a plain brown box. Obviously he got taken. I urged him to return it for one in a good White box, and not put up with such abuse from Apple!" which refers to yours truly and must not go unchallenged.

What I did not mention to you that the brown box which you so disparage was approximately twice the size (volume) if the current skimpy white boxes which you champion. I contend that Apple knew the worth of the recipient and felt it prudent to utilize a box more prone to resist possible damage and use white boxes for the ordinary plebeian rabble.

This is true because I am without guile.

Ciao.

MacBook Pro 13" vs 15" for College?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.