Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook stuck on startup, cant click continue

Hello, i bought a 2006 mac from a friend, it had a password lock that he didn't know so i looked up ways to get passed it. I came across this...

Power the mac on and hold command + s

mount -uw /

launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.DirectoryServices.plist

ls /Users

dscl . -passwd /Users/username password

reboot

That didnt work so i tryed the other step, which is...

mount -uw /

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

shutdown -h now

This step seemed to work fine it restarted the mac and it started up as if it was a new mac like it should.It has you pick a language than it goes through a quick video with music and says Mac os x 10.4.Next it has you select your country and than if you want to transfer your data. Next is the keyboard layout and wireless network, for some reason i can't connect to my wifi at my house it says there was an error joining the network, so i tried using hotspot on my phone and it connects to my phones wifi with no problem (confused).Than It has you fill out your info or sign in to apple, after that it asks a couple questions like where will you use this computer and what best describes you, than i go to click continue and the page turns white and the continue button fades to grey so i cant click it only giving me an option to click back. When i click back and go foward again it goes back to the page asking the questions and when i hit continue it just greys it out so i cant click it again,

Please does anyone know how to fix this or what i need to do to get past this page its so frustraing i've spent hours trying to fix it and hours looking for help but i only saw one or two people with this problem and they didnt really get an answer on how to fix it so please any help would be so greatly appreciated, hopefully i didnt just waste 200 hundred bucks :/

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.4)

Posted on Jun 3, 2012 8:02 AM

1 reply

Macbook stuck on startup, cant click continue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.