Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

XServe CPU Upgrade Question

I have the 06 "Quad Core" XServe with dual Xeon 5150's running at 2.66 GHz. I know that I can upgrade easily to dual Xeon 5160's at 3.0 GHz. I am curious, however, if I can upgrade to 2 Xeon E5335 quad cores running at 2 GHz? I know that Clovertown was a drop-in upgrade to Woodcrest in most systems, but we all know that Apple hardware isn't "most systems". 😉

Here's a comparison of the 2 side-by-side on Intel's site, and everything is identical, however I've heard that Woodcrest used B2 stepping, and Clovertown uses B3 stepping, although I don't know how that affects anything...

Has anyone done this before with success? Has anyone heard of anyone doing this before with success? I use my XServe mainly for converting my .mkv bluray backups to Apple TV 3 compatible files, and I know that the extra 4 cores would really make Handbrake fly.

Please enlighten me with your experiences! Thanks in advance!

Posted on Jun 3, 2012 8:57 AM

3 replies

XServe CPU Upgrade Question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.