Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Power Mac G4 Mdd with sonnet mdx duet 1.8 ghz

Hi (sorry for my english)

I bought a Sonnet Duet 1.8 I fully installed the firmware is that the g4 mdd card with osx 10.5 is ok but when I start from 9.2.2 to the end of the loading of extensions freezes and I have to restart it manually, I tried with the extensions off and is the same, I tried to remove all the pci card and I have not solved anything, I tried booting from the original disk and nothing, I tried to do an installation of the system on a g3 and then start it by g4 and nothing, I unplugged everything that you could pull fans, dvd, etc. and nothing I have tried different mac os 9.2.1,9.2.2 (with different mac os rom from 9.0.4 to 10.2.1 to finish which should be the last) and nothing but installing the original processor is a dual 1.0 ghz everything goes perfectly please help me I do not know what more to do

Thanks

Giuseppe Falcone

Posted on Jun 3, 2012 9:02 AM

14 replies

Jun 3, 2012 12:21 PM in response to falcontechnologies

Hello Giuseppe,

It's not clear, did you install the supplied Firmware update before installing the CPU?

Notes SG4-1800
**Except for SG4-1000-2M, these Encore/ST G4 upgrades require the installation of a supplied firmware patch; you must boot your computer in Mac OS 9.2 (installed on a local hard drive) in order to run the firmware updater application. For 1.8 GHz models, Mac OS X compatibility requires Mac OS X Version 10.3.5 or greater.

Compatibility Power Mac G4 (AGP Graphics), Power Mac G4 (Gigabit Ethernet), Power Mac G4 (Digital Audio), Power Mac G4 (QuickSilver 2001), Power Mac G4 (QuickSilver 2002), Power Mac G4 Cube†, Macintosh Server G4††

http://www.welovemacs.com/sg41800.html

Did you install SonnetCache 1.4.pkg for both?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3959191?answerId=18413576022#18413576022

Jun 3, 2012 5:58 PM in response to falcontechnologies

Hello So the first answer to bdaqua, of course I tried installing the patch is mac os 9.2.2 mac osx 10.5 which, then as I said in the request for help is a duet encore mdx 1.8 ghz and not a st (installed on a power mac g4 mdd) then Sonnet Cache 1.4 enables L3 cache on some computers and is not required on mdd fact is not in the download for this card, now I answer japamac, all operations firmware update I've done with the old processor, following the detailed instructions that are on the sonnet manual in fact the update patch has been successful from both mac os 9.2.2 with patch 3.1 and mac osx with patch 3.2 in all two cases with mac osx works perfectly with mac os 9 crashes when loading extensions, and more precisely on the last extension before showing the desktop with extensions off always crashes before showing the desktop

I'm desperate 😕

Jun 4, 2012 2:44 AM in response to falcontechnologies

For other 7447A processor upgrades, it is always necessary to remove the CPU Plugins file from the “OS 9/System Folder/Extensions/Multiprocessing” folder after booting using the original CPU.

Failure to do so would result in the inability to boot to OS 9 with the new 7447A (or 7457) processor upgrade.

It may be worth trying this with your Duet upgrade.

Another possible fix is to reinstall the OS 9.2.2 update, but configure the updater to be a "Universal" install.

on the installer's page named "Install Software" (the one with the "Start" button) click the "Customize" button; in the new window, from the pulldown menu to the right of the INstall OS 8.x item select "Customized Installation"; in the next new window, select "Universal Installation" from the pulldown menu at the top. Then click the Start button.

Don Archibald posted those instructions here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2360258?start=0&tstart=0

Jun 4, 2012 8:06 AM in response to falcontechnologies

Ok guys I finally resolved the issue through japamac and this thread http://68kmla.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=16529 where we talked about a similar problem and read all the threads at one point I found a download in a japanese site the extension APPLE CPU PLUGIN modified by some genius on 2005 that solves the problem of the two processors in the mac os 9 with sonnet duet.

This is the download if it should be useful to someone:http://www.vintagecomp.com/sell/Sonnet/updatedCPU.sit
Thanks for the help

Jun 4, 2012 9:58 AM in response to falcontechnologies

This is the response from the sonnet:

"A certain file in your OS 9 System Folder didn't get updated properly by our software which is what is causing the hang. It's called the "Apple CPU Plugin" and it's located in your Extensions folder inside the Multiprocessing folder copy this version into that folder"

which of course was already aware of the problem, which I sent the same files I had already downloaded from the Japanese site!!!

Thanks again and see you soon

Power Mac G4 Mdd with sonnet mdx duet 1.8 ghz

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.