Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with writing/playing Double Layer DVDs

My Imac has recently began to show some problems with Dual layers DVDs that I did not experience before. It doesn't burn any DVD9 anymore. Even worse, I can not play any DVD9 I'd burnt on the same drive before, because they are constantly ejected, while before that (till 1-2 months ago) I had no problem with the same discs. With retail dvds or dvd5s (+R or -R) I don't experience any problem. Does it mean that my DVD drive has become defective?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jun 3, 2012 9:20 AM

6 replies

Jun 3, 2012 11:27 AM in response to Ramin99

It could be the start of some hardware problem. When my drive dies it didn't go all at once, problems started and got progressively worse until it didn't work at all. Before you do anything else though you might try a SMC set and PRAM/NVRAM reset

To reset the SMC

Shut down the computer.

Unplug the computer's power cord.

Wait fifteen seconds.

Attach the computer's power cord.

Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.

To reset PRAM/NVRAM

Shut down the computer.

Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.

Turn on the computer.

Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

Release the keys.

Problem with writing/playing Double Layer DVDs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.