Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

More RAM or memory; difficulty to install on 2009 Mac Mini

I have a 2009 Mac Mini (Snow Leopard) with the following:

Model Name: Mac mini

Model Identifier: Macmini3,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 1 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Boot ROM Version: MM31.0081.B06

SMC Version (system): 1.35f0

When I look at the Activity Monitory I see:

Free: 11.2 MB

Wire: 394.2 MB

Active: 415.1 MB

Inactive: 205.2 MB

Swap Used: 1.82 GB

The green "slice" is almost non-existent.

Do I need more RAM or memory and how easy/difficult is it to install either of these on my Mac Mini? Years ago I installed additional memory on my Dell desktop without any issues/problems.

Thanks!

Gina

Mac Mini

Posted on Jun 3, 2012 2:23 PM

9 replies

Jun 3, 2012 2:26 PM in response to soonergirl9999

macsales.com or crucial.com are trusted sellers of RAM. They sell the amount of RAM the system will take, not just what Apple "officially" says it will.

As to instructions ... ifixit.com has detailed instructions for you to read (with pretty pictures!) and decide if you deel comfortable with the process: http://www.ifixit.com/Device/Mac_mini_Model_A1283#guideList

Jun 3, 2012 2:57 PM in response to steve359

Steve ~

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Another question ~ I looked at crucial.com's website and am unsure if I have a MB463LL/A computer or MB464LL/A computer. Where do I find this information so I make sure I order the correct item?

Also, should I order 8GB, 4GB, 4GB kid (2GBx2), 2GB or 1GB? What is the maximum my computer can handle?

Sorry for the naive questions.

Gina

Jun 3, 2012 3:10 PM in response to soonergirl9999

crucial has an option to autodetect your system and shows you the options. Once autodetected, the options will be displayed and you can choose how much based on your budget.

Autoscan page: http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/MacOS.aspx

By the way ... no question is naive if it saves you either money or a return question of "New RAM does not work!".

Jun 3, 2012 3:38 PM in response to soonergirl9999

soonergirl9999 wrote:

Another question ~ I looked at crucial.com's website and am unsure if I have a MB463LL/A computer or MB464LL/A computer. Where do I find this information so I make sure I order the correct item?

According to MacTracker, the only difference between the two model numbers is MB463LL/A comes with a 120 GB hard drive & MB464LL/A comes with a 320 GB hard drive. Both use the same "204-pin PC3-8500 (1066 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM" modules. http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4432#2 from Apple says you can install up to 4 GB total (with two 2 GB modules) but MacTracker says up to 8 GB total, as does Macsales.com (with two 4 GB modules).

Do note the earlier comment about the steps needed to upgrade your 2009 Mini -- only beginning with the 2010 models did Apple make upgrading memory in the Mini a simple, user-friendly process. The earlier models were not designed for the case to be opened by users.

Because of this (& because more memory is better, all other things being equal), I suggest you buy at least a pair of 2 GB modules (for 4 GB total).

Jun 5, 2012 8:06 AM in response to steve359

Thanks Steve359 and R C-R! My mini is running so slow that it's almost unusable. I have ordered a single 4GB from Crucial and it is shipping today so I hope it will arrive soon.

Two more questions:

Do I need to remove the original 1GB when I install the new 4GB?

My mini occasionally restarts itself, typically after it has gone to sleep. What is causing this and how can it be corrected?

Thanks again!

Gina

Jun 5, 2012 3:43 PM in response to soonergirl9999

"Sleep" requires caching RAM contents into hard disk. A complex-enough cycle that better/more RAM can make that go easier.

But while you are here ... how much free space on your hard disk? You should always keep 15-20 GB free so tha OSX can operate (such as easily saving or retrieving RAM contents during or after sleep). By adding 4 GB of RAM, your system will allocate at least 4 more GB of HD space as "virtual disk".

More RAM or memory; difficulty to install on 2009 Mac Mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.