Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Redirect Folders/Magic Triangle Help!

Hi Everyone,

I have an enviroment that is both Windows and Macs so what I have done was set up a "Magic Triangle" or set it up so that when a user logs in they can use their active directory user name but I can also use the features of Open Directory and Lion Server to be able to manage the Macs. This seems to be working ok but what happends is it mounts the users network folder from AD which is exactally what I want it to do, but users can also save in the Documents. Photos, Music and all those folders which is only a local account and none of this data goes in to their network folder.

I am working with all Lion machines and a Snow Leopard server and have tried using folder redirection to redirect all those folders to the network share but I can't seem to get it to take in Lion. For example for the Documents folder I sent it to redirect to smb://server-pc/Documents and this path is being shared on my Windows 2008 server but when right click and choose get info on the documents folder in Lion it says the location is ~/Documents/Users..../Server-PC/Documents. So basically after all that its not redirecting it to the server at all.

Is there a way to get it so that the Documents, Pictures, Music and those folders send files to the network folder when users save to it. Otherwise users will be saving to the computer drive and there will be lost doucments. Also I as wondering if anyone knows how I could set up accounts for laptops under the magic traintle when they cannot get network acess. Would I use PHD's?

Thanks so much for the help!

-Mike

Mac OS X Snow Leopard Server-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.6), Snow Leopard Server

Posted on Jun 3, 2012 5:24 PM

1 reply

Jun 4, 2012 6:46 AM in response to runnerboy967

Anyone??

So far I've been messing around with it more and on one of my AD binded clients I unchecked the box that says force a local home and now it it is working off network homes. This is great and all but the only probelem is its storing caches, safari history and lots of other temp files on my server which I don't want on there because it slows down everything and also takes up space on the server and clutters up everything. I'm trying to figure a way to have OS X place the cache somewhere else.

Also trying to find a way to make OS X and Windows use the same Documents, Desktop, etc folders. I've been trying to redirect Windows folders to the Mac Folder location and see if that takes. What I want is say a user is working on a mac, logs of and then sits down at a Windows computer and wants to do some work. I want the documents they created on their mac to appear in their redirected documents on their Windows PC. Anyone know if this is possible. I tried Local AD accounts by simply doing nothing after I binded the mac clients to AD and didn't like this option because while the AD network share was mounted, users could still save to the local machine drive and they would have to know to place thier work in their network folder. Want it to be more seamelss to advoid problmes. Any help is appreatiated!

-Mike

Redirect Folders/Magic Triangle Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.